Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back to shopping for a camera. Last time I was shopping I was on the fence between a DSLR and a nice point-n-shoot. I couldn't decide, months went by, and I'm still shooting with my old and very basic point-n-shoot.

So I've decided to buy a new point-n-shoot (maybe the DSLR later). I'd like more pixels (my current one is 4.1 mp) because I like to crop and enlarge photos. I'd like a decent sensor but I don't know much about the options. Other features I'd like: image stabilization, some manual control (focus, aperture priority, shutter priority). All in a pretty small and not too expensive package.

The one I've looked at so far is the Canon Powershot A720 IS. There are a lot of options out there. Can you all suggest others that I should look at?

thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It depends on how small. If you want something pocketable, I'm currently trying to decide between the Canon 880is or the Fujifilm F200 EXR (supposed to be very good for taking shots in low light).

If you're willing to carry something bigger than what easily fits in your pocket, there's certainly plenty of reviews on the web. Like at dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I just got a Canon Sd 880is. I like it... mostly but as with ALL new cameras the photos are noisy above 400 ISO. If you can wait get the new Canon just announced but not available yet Canon PowerShot SX200 IS. it will have a 12x zoom starting at 28 (the 28 is VERY important to me). It will also have manual controls. No viewfinder but I guess that is par now. :( The lens is not super fast but not too bad considering the 12x zoom. http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/21453/canon-powershot-sx200-is/

I would have waited a few weeks for this camera but had to make a decision as I was moving to London the next day and my wonderful S70 had given up the ghost.

The Sd880is that I did get is very responsive, quick start up and minimal shutterlag. If the 200is is as resposive it would be my dream pocketable camera.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Any of the Canon Elph models. I ride with one all the time, fits perfectly in a Bento Box on the top tube. The biggest downside is the zoom but point-and-shoots (to me) are more about people and wide shots, not really for zooming to that special bird on the lake.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Canon? :thumbsup: ! I use an SD 850 IS - superb pictures every time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Also in the market for a nice point and shoot. rode a century today, wanted to take pics. my old canon powershot weighs a ton and takes up too much space. looking for something small and light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hotshot said:
Canon G10 is really good..little bigger than the elphs..
as a photography enthusiast, that would definitely get my vote. it's a "pro-sumer" that bridges the gap between p&s and a SLR. it has a buttload of manual settings and it even has an external flash hot shoe should you choose to progress a bit in photography.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
I usually have 2-3 cameras on me at all times, it's my profession.

But for weekend riding this is my scenario...

Canon Elph (couple years old).
Small Bento Box, not the large one. I've cut pieces of cardboard to reinforce the front and rear edge of the Bento Box for protection from normal bumping. The Bento Box has sleeves so you just cut the cardboard to fit in the sleeve. You can see the cardboard in the photo with the open lid. Most important, place a nice chunk of packing foam in the bottom of the Bento Box, or your camera will sit on the top tube and likely make a chattering sound.
Works well, I've been riding double centuries like this for years, and it's great because it's easy to shoot and ride, with no worried of having your camera in a sweaty jersey.

·
Registered
577 Posts
+1 for the Elph series.

I got a SD400 in the all metal case from Amazon 4 years ago. Still works perfectly, takes beautiful pictures, and is very easy to manipulate.

I've carried it hiking, biking, kayaking, even trail running, and never had an issue.

Also, mine's only 5 MP, but I've blown up photos (night shots even) to 24"x36" and they look great.

And I'm still on my original 2GB SD card...more than adequate for anything I do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That Bento Box is awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to carry a small point and shoot on my bike w/o stuffing it in a jersey pocket. Where can I find them?

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Thanks Bento box suggestion. I'm a satisfied Cannon Elph user. I'm on my second one, the first was damaged by sweat from being placed in the back pocket of a jersey (hundreds upon hundreds of times). Canon USA didn't want to repair it.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
many bike shops carry the Bento boxes, historically they appeared in the triathlon market but you can find them at most shops. They come in large and small and the small Bento box is an Elph size.

*worth noting*....I stitched in some extra velcro on the bottom (shown in the pic with camera and bento on blue couch) so that the lid pulls tighter. I also extended the velcro straps on the front edge by adding more bulk velcro to the existing velcro, shown best in the lowest photo. This rig sits on top of your top tube, up against the rear edge of the stem/headset/spacer combo.

*I use the same sort of set-up on my Soma commuter for my cell phone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
walmarts sells a top tube bag fairly similar to the bento box for under $10 i do believe. padded all the way round...mesh on top though.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
I have had the A720is for about a year now; I have really enjoyed using it and the picutres are great even in auto mode. It's not the slimmest package, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bento box, LOL.. Obento is a Japanese takeout lunch served in a little wooden box. (nowadays maybe plastic)

I have a Fuji Finepix J10, for 3 reasons. 1. It was cheap! $99, 2. It is very small and easy to take with me (extra small means it doesn't use AA batteries) 3. It was cheap! :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bertrand said:
I have a Fuji Finepix F30, which is an excellent, durable point and shoot, with great optics and sensor.

However, if I was going to buy a new camera it would be one of the Olympus waterproof, shockproof models. I just think this would be the cat's butt for all kinds of outdoor activites.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/olympus/olympus-mju-770-SW-digital-camera.shtml
As the owner of an F20, F40, F45 and F100 as well as an Olympus 850sw, I would say you would be pretty disappointed in the image quality of the waterproof Olympus gear. Its just not that sharp and the colors out of the camera are pretty drab. The F series Fuji cameras are all pretty amazing, right now there is a deal on the F100FD, the $100 rebate makes it a steal at $150.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts