Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting up to my spot in the queue for a custom fixed-gear frame. Should I get cable stops for running a rear brake? I wasn't planning on it, but I was thinking that it would be good to have the option...but on the other hand I didn't want to disrupt the clean lines.

I currently ride with a front brake, but it gets limited use. Is there a really good reason for having a rear brake too (other than more stopping power and slower brake pad/braking surface wear)?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
powerrp said:
On a custom frame? Absolutely not on the brake fittings. Nope, no way no how. Visual pollution. Leave it clean, IMNSHO.
yeah, that was my visceral reaction...too much damn time thinking about stupid s**t on the way home from work...gotta just enjoy the ride. thanks

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
powerrp said:
On a custom frame? Absolutely not on the brake fittings. Nope, no way no how. Visual pollution. Leave it clean, IMNSHO.
Agree. If you ever want rear brakes, you can get an old style clamp-on cable holders and use a full length housing for that retro look. - TF

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Agreed - don't do it UNLESS you plan to run the bike as a singlespeed too. If you're only running it fixed, than no cable stops/guides. I paid $20 extra to have them NOT installed on my Milwaukee that I'm STILL waiting for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.