Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chorus Monoplaner Rear Brake as Front Brake?

I recently bought a beautiful pair of Chorus monoplaner brake calipers on ebay. I bought them specifically for my fixed gear project and I only need the front brake. However, I know there are plenty of people like me (especially on this forum) that only need one brake, and they want the front one.

What are your thoughts on using the rear brake as a front, and selling the more sought after front brake on ebay? I can easily modify the rear to work in the front with a Problem Solvers long barrel nut (designed for deep carbon forks), or other ways I have thought of. There isn't any discernable difference between the two calipers other than the length of the bolt.

Is the fixed gear market big enough that this individual brake caliper would have a reasonably sized market? I really have no interest in keeping the two calipers together, as they aren't that terribly rare, and any money I got out of the front caliper could go toward finishing the project.

Here are some pictures of the front brake:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Using a rear on the front should present no problem as long as you swap the brake pads so the shoes don't come out (as you seem to have already done in the picture). Using a longer nut is fine as long as you have enough threads. If not, you could easily buy a longer bolt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I will have plenty of theads with the longer barrel nut, but where would I get a longer bolt if I wanted one?

I am going to go ahead and put the front brake on ebay tonight. Time will tell if the fixed gear thing is popular enough for an individual front brake caliper to pull in some bids.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
End auction early?

Someone wants me to end the auction early and sell the brake to him for $55. I have never ended an auction early. It seams a little underhanded to use ebay for free advertising and then sell the item beneath their fees. Thoughts? At the same time, "The item is no longer available for sale" is an option for ending the listing. I am not sure I will get more than $55 if I wait.

·
Registered
669 Posts
EasyRider47 said:
In case you were wondering....since I had a Colnago Track fork (with no room/space for drilling) installed on my Colnago C-40 fixie, I simply mounted the rear brake on the rear wheel...seems to work great - no issues or problems todate. Furthermore, from a pure esthetics point of view, the front wheel does look a bit neater....just my opinion.

EasyRider47
Novel idea indeed since a majority of braking force generally comes from the front brake. Slightly better than no brake, I guess, but aesthetics over function is your call.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HillMan said:
Someone wants me to end the auction early and sell the brake to him for $55. I have never ended an auction early. It seams a little underhanded to use ebay for free advertising and then sell the item beneath their fees. Thoughts? At the same time, "The item is no longer available for sale" is an option for ending the listing. I am not sure I will get more than $55 if I wait.
I couldn't feel right about ending the auction early, and there have been a few bids anyway. I may kick myself later for not taking the offer, but that is the way things go.

On another note, I got the longer brake bolt that will allow me to use the rear brake on the front. It is a little too long. Looking at the bottom of the fork crown, the steel section on the front of the fork that the front mounting hole goes through is about 3/8th of an inch thick. I am wondering how much of that material I could safely remove (by counterboring from the back side) to make the barrel nut work. I could just cut the barrel nut, but counterboring will give me a bit more thread engagement. I may need to cut the bolt a little anyway depending on how deep I can go with the counterboring.

Is there any reason not to remove a 1/4 inch or so of that steel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.