Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rear cassette do you recommend for standard 53/39 double cranks and a heavy (out of shape) rider? I am 220 lbs. My new "used" road bike is 9-speed Ultegra. I bought a long cage Ultegra rear derailleur and a Shimano XT 11-32 9-speed cassette to help me on the hills until I get in shape and loose some weight. Even after my LBS adjusted the RD it makes a bad noise in the 32t rear cog. I wonder if a12-27, 11-28, or 11-30 cassette would solve the problem.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I have an "upgraded" Dura-Ace" pulley on the RD that may be causing the noise. Maybe if I put the cheaper pulley back on it will help with the noise.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I'm not sure if a smaller cog for the lowest gear would make a difference. Is the chain rubbing the spokes? If so, it's going to rub the spokes no matter the size of the cog.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the derailleur and chain aren't touching the spokes, the noise is coming from the pulley but only in the 30 and 32t gears. Everything is silent up to that point.

I'm not sure if a smaller cog for the lowest gear would make a difference. Is the chain rubbing the spokes? If so, it's going to rub the spokes no matter the size of the cog.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm thinking that this combination exceeds the capacity of the rear derailer.

My friend rides a Dura Ace road triple (30-39-53) with an 11-32 cassette but for that to work she needs the 'Mountain Bike' rear derailer, like this one:

Shimano XT RD-M780 Shadow Rear Derailleur GS

FWIW, this system started out as a 9-speed set up. She rides a lot. Eventually, the rear shifter wore out. So we upgrade the rear set up to a 10 speed (105 series) shifter and mountain bike ( XT CS-M771 ) cassette and 10-speed SRAM chain. Still works fine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
460 Posts
I seem to be confused here. If you like to lighten the load on hills why did you have to change the 53 to a 50 chainring? Isn't it suppose to be the 39 that should be reduced to 34? That is, if the crankarms can support this.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,557 Posts
If the upper pulley and chain is contacting the cogs, screwing in the "B" screw might help.

Do you really need a 32? What state do you live in??

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seem to be confused here. If you like to lighten the load on hills why did you have to change the 53 to a 50 chainring? Isn't it suppose to be the 39 that should be reduced to 34? That is, if the crankarms can support this.
That's why I have the 32t rear cassette. The 11 vs 12 smaller tooth is the difference between 50 and 53t chain rings.

See: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Grumpy: Maryland. I just ordered the Shimano SLX CS-HG80 11-28 9 speed cassette. I am hoping that works out well and then I will ditch the XT MTB rear derailler and put the Ultegra long cage back on.

If the upper pulley and chain is contacting the cogs, screwing in the "B" screw might help.

Do you really need a 32? What state do you live in??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.