Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a NOS 2012 Giant TCR C2. This last week was my first opportunity to get it out on the road and I noticed the shifting gets a bit noisy in the middle gears of the the rear cassette.

Now, you should know that I am a Newb and not real comfortable with the rear derailleur. It has always intimidated me. I don't intend to take the bike back to the LBS until I have put a couple hundred miles on it for it's tune up just because they are not real close to me (we live in a pretty rural area). I have already adjusted the cable with the front derailleur because it was rubbing and I was successful with that simple fix.

Any suggestions for some simple fixes for the rear or is this something more complicated?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Give the barle adjuster a half turn out on the rear derailuer. As the cable housing seats you will meed some small tweaks. If a half a turn dosent change anything give it a little more. It wont take much. Remember where you started. If it gets worse put it back and let us know.

For the record. Cables dont stretch. If anyone tells you that is full of it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I like the Park Tool site, and for future easier reference you might want to pick up a copy of Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenence. It's inexpensive. Mine is in the garage on the workbench with greasy fingerprints all over it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the Park Tool site, and for future easier reference you might want to pick up a copy of Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenence. It's inexpensive. Mine is in the garage on the workbench with greasy fingerprints all over it.
All good advice. Do NOT be afraid to maintain your own bike! Between youtube, park and this (and other forums) you can certainly get the job done.

The secondary (and perhaps more important) benefit is that if your bike does something wonky while you're riding far away from home, you stand a decent chance of being able to get it working to get home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.