Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what happened, but I started hearing clang clang clang clang at one point during the ride today. I don't spend alot of time in the granny gear so this could have happened a while back.

Is is safe/stupid/moreonic to ride with a deraileur that could hit the spokes?

Quick fix?

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
It is not a good idea to ride like that (could result in a fairly major disaster), and the fix is simple. Your rear derailleur has 2 screws: a high and low limit. You need to turn the screw the high limit in until it will stop your derailleur from travelling too far. Should take roughly 15 seconds. Shift to the big cog and give it a half turn. You'll likely see your rear derailleur move away from the spokes. Line the pulley up with the big cog and you're set.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
culdeus said:
Not sure what happened, but I started hearing clang clang clang clang at one point during the ride today. I don't spend alot of time in the granny gear so this could have happened a while back.

Is is safe/stupid/moreonic to ride with a deraileur that could hit the spokes?

Quick fix?
No/yes/yes. It takes a minute or so to properly adjust your limit screws. It will take you a lot longer to get home with a trashed wheel (and lighten your wallet ).

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
the other solution...

the other solution is to mash on your bike in that low gear and have your derailleur get jacked up in the spokes as you cross a busy street. then, bend everything so it is ride-able so you can get home, then go to your local bike shop and pay a lot to get a new derailleur, cuz they are right when they say once you bend the cage there is no fixin it. that's what i did.

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
You got lucky

PJay said:
the other solution is to mash on your bike in that low gear and have your derailleur get jacked up in the spokes as you cross a busy street. then, bend everything so it is ride-able so you can get home, then go to your local bike shop and pay a lot to get a new derailleur, cuz they are right when they say once you bend the cage there is no fixin it. that's what i did.
Coulda taken out half your spokes and wrenched your derailleur hanger, too. If you don't have a replaceable hanger, you can even ruin a frame. Nasty.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sitting on my rack at home. Didn't have time to monkey with it this morning. Will take a look this afternoon. I've got a reasonably good relationship with a bike repair place nearby. They'll usually do minor (this is minor right?) repairs for $10 or so.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Check the Park Tool web site. They have lots of repair and adjustment info.

If you hook the derailleur in the spokes you will be lucky if you only destroy the derailleur... sometimes it ruins the frame.

But it's an easy thing to adjust yourself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As others have mentioned, one possibility is that the limit screws are messed up. One screw controls how far out away from the spokes the derailleur can travel; mess that one up, and you'll shift right off the smallest cog and jam the chain between the cogs and the frame. The other controls how far into the spokes the derailleur can travel; mess that one up, and the chain can get tossed into the spokes with some really bad results. If you know how to use a screwdriver, you can fix this yourself. Just make sure you turn the right one. :thumbsup:

The other possibility is that your derailleur hanger itself is bent. The hanger is part of your frame, although it's usually replaceable. It can easily get bent by just laying your bike down on the drivetrain side. It can be bent back, but not without some special tools.

Shift the chain into the biggest gear up front and the smallest in back. The two derailleur pulleys should be hanging absolutely straight down underneath that cog. If they aren't, then you have an alignment issue. Get yourself to the bike shop and have them straighten it out for you.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm fairily convinced that the problem isn't with the deraileur. It's that the wheel is pretty bad out of true. Only three of the spokes hit and it's the same ones. I'm gonna try to true the wheel to make sure this is the problem.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Not likely

culdeus said:
I'm fairily convinced that the problem isn't with the deraileur. It's that the wheel is pretty bad out of true. Only three of the spokes hit and it's the same ones. I'm gonna try to true the wheel to make sure this is the problem.
The derailleur is hitting the spokes very near the hub, so the wheel would have to be fantastically out of true in order for the spoke angle to change enough to cause this problem. Once again, this is likely either a bent derailleur hanger, limit screw adjustment, or bent derailleur.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.