Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question and most of it is contained in thread title. 9 speed ultegra system and it shifts fine and on schedule, but it isn't reaching the very largest gear. I can feel the sti "click", but it fights me more than any other shift. When it's on the stand I can see it really try to hop up there and get one or two teeth on and then get pulled back off.

Is there a simple adjustment for this?

tia

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Several things

Please see Park Tool's website and Sheldon Brown over at Harris Cyclery. Everything from the rear derailleur set screw to over tensioned derailleur cable could be affecting your shifting. Anyway, hope you find the info helpfull.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
First possibility

As you describe it, the most likely problem is the upper limit screw. There are two screws on the body of the derailleur that serve to set the upper and lower limits of travel for the derailleur. If you put it in the smallest or largest cog and then do a close visual inspection, you will see which screw is serving to limit the travel. If you turn the screw a half turn "out" (counter clockwise or anti clockwise, depending on your location), you will likely see an improvement in performance. If you have this problem but the derailleur is not hitting the upper limit screw, then signs point to the shifter leverl mechanism or perhaps a frayed cable.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Thommy said:
Please see Park Tool's website and Sheldon Brown over at Harris Cyclery. Everything from the rear derailleur set screw to over tensioned derailleur cable could be affecting your shifting. Anyway, hope you find the info helpfull.
I sounds like your inside limiting screw, but starting at the beginning like Thommy said is the way to go. - TF

·
Registered
234 Posts
probably simple...

everything said so far sounds good, but I couldn't resist some obfuscation...

I can't see your msg as I type so I cannot remember if this problem came on suddenly or slowly developed, nor do I recall the derailleur and the cog size, so I am just shooting in the dark here, but...

1. If this is a new build, it may be that the max teeth for the derailleur is not high enough. There are some sorta workarounds if not too severe. The mechanism may simply not be designed to move that far in and down.

2. New build or not, all that has been said by others may be true. The travel limit screw may need to be diddled with, and/or you might need to adjust the cable tension (assuming not rapid-rise-whatever). In the classic case, you put the cable under tension to pull the derailleur down along the cogs toward the biggest cog. If you run out of tension too soon, you might need to use one of the several possible adjusters in the cable system. Make cable more tight. Make sure you have first given the limit screw a few cranks to give the mechanism enough room to travel. No amount of additional tension will overcome the screw.

I hope that made sense. At days end I am usually not very coherent. :confused: :( :(

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Another real possibility is that the shifter was not in the small cog position when the cable was attached to the derailleur. With the cable loose flip the small shift lever several times to make sure that all of the cable is out of the shifter before attaching to the derailleur. Then adjust the tension at the derailleur as needed.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts