Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Ultegra (9 spd) for the past 5 years. It is wearing out. The rear del. pulleys drag...I priced new pulleys...they wanted something like $40 for the set. I thought that was ridiculus. So, how do I determine which new rear derail. to purchase? I like the idea of moving to Durace- both for weight and bling. I see that there are several options. Can I use a "10 spd" derailleur on a 9 spd system?

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
AlanS said:
I have been using Ultegra (9 spd) for the past 5 years. It is wearing out. The rear del. pulleys drag...I priced new pulleys...they wanted something like $40 for the set. I thought that was ridiculus. So, how do I determine which new rear derail. to purchase? I like the idea of moving to Durace- both for weight and bling. I see that there are several options. Can I use a "10 spd" derailleur on a 9 spd system?

Search some more.Looks like you can get a set of Ultegra 6500 pulleys here for $22.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD610Z00-Shimano+Rear+Derailleur+Pulleys.aspx

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But...

Kerry Irons said:
Is this after you took them apart, cleaned everything, applied a quality oil, and reassembled? I've seen pulleys get sloppy, but it is rare that they develop excess friction.
I took the pulleys apart, cleaned and greased them. When you tighten the bolt that secures the pulley(through it's center), the pulley binds. I don't know where to go from here. The thought of 'up-grading' is always fun, but I could save some cash by correcting the problem. New pulleys are about $25 each...Obviously the plates on the outside of the pulleys (the little discs) are pressing against the inside of the cage plates.
I looked at ebay...for under $100 I can get a new 9 spd Dura Ace 7700 or 10 spd 7800 (I think I have the #'s correct).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.