Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Ultegra (9 spd) for the past 5 years. It is wearing out. The rear del. pulleys drag...I priced new pulleys...they wanted something like $40 for the set. I thought that was ridiculus. So, how do I determine which new rear derail. to purchase? I like the idea of moving to Durace- both for weight and bling. I see that there are several options. Can I use a "10 spd" derailleur on a 9 spd system?

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
AlanS said:
I have been using Ultegra (9 spd) for the past 5 years. It is wearing out. The rear del. pulleys drag...I priced new pulleys...they wanted something like $40 for the set. I thought that was ridiculus. So, how do I determine which new rear derail. to purchase? I like the idea of moving to Durace- both for weight and bling. I see that there are several options. Can I use a "10 spd" derailleur on a 9 spd system?

Search some more.Looks like you can get a set of Ultegra 6500 pulleys here for $22.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD610Z00-Shimano+Rear+Derailleur+Pulleys.aspx

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Clean & lube?

AlanS said:
It is wearing out. The rear del. pulleys drag.
Is this after you took them apart, cleaned everything, applied a quality oil, and reassembled? I've seen pulleys get sloppy, but it is rare that they develop excess friction.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But...

Kerry Irons said:
Is this after you took them apart, cleaned everything, applied a quality oil, and reassembled? I've seen pulleys get sloppy, but it is rare that they develop excess friction.
I took the pulleys apart, cleaned and greased them. When you tighten the bolt that secures the pulley(through it's center), the pulley binds. I don't know where to go from here. The thought of 'up-grading' is always fun, but I could save some cash by correcting the problem. New pulleys are about $25 each...Obviously the plates on the outside of the pulleys (the little discs) are pressing against the inside of the cage plates.
I looked at ebay...for under $100 I can get a new 9 spd Dura Ace 7700 or 10 spd 7800 (I think I have the #'s correct).

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
AlanS said:
.Obviously the plates on the outside of the pulleys (the little discs) are pressing against the inside of the cage plates.
This just doesn't sound right. And why would that be a sign of wear? Are you sure you don't have the pulleys reversed?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ult RDR lifespan = 35,000 or more miles...

Mebbe 50K if you don't crash it out...

You'll be bored w/it loooong before you wear it out.

PH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts