Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,348 Posts
? Degunked. Friggin auto correct. I am giving you my viewpoint. I am giving the reasons why I don’t think that sram is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The shifters froze and I had to spend an hour cleaning the internal mechs and lubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I'm talking about the 'horror stories' you've heard. Froze as in temperature? How cold? I've never heard of that happening even in the midwest/northeast during cross season. Shimano shifters get sticky and fail to work constantly...some maintenance is involved w/ bikes, is that surprising? Oh wait...it's horrifying. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No, I'm talking about the 'horror stories' you've heard. Froze as in temperature? How cold? I've never heard of that happening even in the midwest/northeast during cross season. Shimano shifters get sticky and fail to work constantly...some maintenance is involved w/ bikes, is that surprising? Oh wait...it's horrifying. :rolleyes:
I'd like to hear about these "horror stories". What happened? Do you know the people who had problems or did you read reviews? Did a shifter actually break?

As far as getting gunked up, that can happen to Shimano as well.
I get the routine maintenance part and I don’t have a problem with it. I guess once you get used to excellence in engineering , SRAM doesn’t cut it for me. To give them credit they came up with some innovative designs but the execution and the machines tolerances are sloppy and all over the map. My shifters are finally here after a month and half. Should be getting them today. Will update as to how they work compared to my current XT/XTR setup. One of the interesting things about this group is that the 11 speed cassette slips on to the 9/10 speed body without a hitch. No spacer needed. Will have a better understanding in the next two days as to how it all works together. Or if it even works.

·
15,348 Posts
I get the routine maintenance part and I don’t have a problem with it. I guess once you get used to excellence in engineering , SRAM doesn’t cut it for me. To give them credit they came up with some innovative designs but the execution and the machines tolerances are sloppy and all over the map. My shifters are finally here after a month and half. Should be getting them today. Will update as to how they work compared to my current XT/XTR setup. One of the interesting things about this group is that the 11 speed cassette slips on to the 9/10 speed body without a hitch. No spacer needed. Will have a better understanding in the next two days as to how it all works together. Or if it even works.

Says who? Thousands and thousands of riders use it and have no problems at all. The big 3 all make groups that perform very well. Even Microshift works well. You keep bringing up this 'tolerance' thing but don't provide any actual examples. I'm quite sure that the volume of my experience w/ bicycles in general and SRAM equipped bicycles in particular is orders of magnitude greater than yours. Trust me, I'll be the first guy to hammer a product if it's derserved. In this case it is not. You sound very much like one of those guys that hears people spout unfounded opnions and you trust them implicitly for whatever reason.
If you want to talk design/engineering problems how about Shimano shifters and their appetite for cables? Ever heard of a SRAM shifter doing that? Me neither.
What it comes down to is that you don't like that 'feel' of them. That's fine, you can like or not like whatever you want, but don't give me this crap about 'horror stories' and the like.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,002 Posts
If you want to talk design/engineering problems how about Shimano shifters and their appetite for cables? Ever heard of a SRAM shifter doing that? Me neither.
I can vouch for this. Granted that I love the way Shimano shifters work and feel - when they work. However, I have two bikes with Shimano shifters that like to routinely eat cables. I generally have to replace the rear every 1500-2000 miles and my last replacement was after only 800 miles. Next time this happens, I'm going to try an Aligator 31 cable since they are more flexible. If I don't get more mileage out of it, I'm ready to go to SRAM Force 22.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Says who? Thousands and thousands of riders use it and have no problems at all. The big 3 all make groups that perform very well. Even Microshift works well. You keep bringing up this 'tolerance' thing but don't provide any actual examples. I'm quite sure that the volume of my experience w/ bicycles in general and SRAM equipped bicycles in particular is orders of magnitude greater than yours. Trust me, I'll be the first guy to hammer a product if it's derserved. In this case it is not. You sound very much like one of those guys that hears people spout unfounded opnions and you trust them implicitly for whatever reason.
What it comes down to is that you don't like that 'feel' of them. That's fine, you can like or not like whatever you want, but don't give me this crap about 'horror stories' and the like.
Says me. I may be biased as I have Shimano on all my bikes except the two with SRAM. As to the cables on the Shimano equipped bikes, the only reason I have had to switch out cables is because the cables frayed at the end or I did not do a good job of crimping end caps.

I got SRAM on one of my bikes in 2013 (Rival 10 speed) and Force in 2015. SRAM Force works better than Rival but I had the annoying problem of my front derailleur cable loosening while in the middle of nowhere on two different occasions.
The “tolerances crap” is not second hand but my own experience with the friggin’ GXP bottom bracket that requires so much fiddling around to get right. As to Shimano front derailleurs, I haven’t got any new 11 speed or 12 speed experience yet, and maybe I will be *****ing about them as you do but until then, I prefer Shimano. I like Campy too but the replacement cost is prohibitive and the bs about repairable components is just that. BS. Something as simple as a hanger bolt costs the same as 60% of the cost of the whole derailleur or the part is unavailable in the USA. Everything I have written about is my experience with SRAM vs Shimano Comparing 10 speed to 10 speed components. If you think that SRAM is the greatest thing since sliced bread, more power to you.

·
15,348 Posts
Says me. I may be biased as I have Shimano on all my bikes except the two with SRAM. As to the cables on the Shimano equipped bikes, the only reason I have had to switch out cables is because the cables frayed at the end or I did not do a good job of crimping end caps.

I got SRAM on one of my bikes in 2013 (Rival 10 speed) and Force in 2015. SRAM Force works better than Rival but I had the annoying problem of my front derailleur cable loosening while in the middle of nowhere on two different occasions.
The “tolerances crap” is not second hand but my own experience with the friggin’ GXP bottom bracket that requires so much fiddling around to get right. As to Shimano front derailleurs, I haven’t got any new 11 speed or 12 speed experience yet, and maybe I will be *****ing about them as you do but until then, I prefer Shimano. I like Campy too but the replacement cost is prohibitive and the bs about repairable components is just that. BS. Something as simple as a hanger bolt costs the same as 60% of the cost of the whole derailleur or the part is unavailable in the USA. Everything I have written about is my experience with SRAM vs Shimano Comparing 10 speed to 10 speed components. If you think that SRAM is the greatest thing since sliced bread, more power to you.

2015 Force is 11 speed, not 10. It might feel very slightly different than 10 speed Rival.
GXP bottom brackets are hard to install? Never heard that before nor experienced it. Screw the cups in, install the crank. Done. There is no adjusting.
I never *****ed about Shimano front derailleurs, I just said they were more involved and different than any previous derailleur. They shift very, very well.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,002 Posts

Nobody here is saying SRAM is the greatest thing since sliced bread. We're just saying it's not the train wreck you make it out to be.

If you don't have any experience with 11-speed Shimano, that may be why you never had a problem with cable chewing shifters. The Shimano cable chewing problem started with 5700/6700, the first generation where the shift cables go under the bar tape. 5600/6600 did not have this problem. FYI, there is no such thing as 12-speed road Shimano yet, only mountain.

·
15,348 Posts
Nobody here is saying SRAM is the greatest thing since sliced bread. We're just saying it's not the train wreck you make it out to be.

If you don't have any experience with 11-speed Shimano, that may be why you never had a problem with cable chewing shifters. The Shimano cable chewing problem started with 5700/6700, the first generation where the shift cables go under the bar tape. 5600/6600 did not have this problem. FYI, there is no such thing as 12-speed road Shimano yet, only mountain.
The older Shimano STI levers did actually eat cables. So did the older Campy Ergo shifters...they'd stab you in the thumb when the fraying started.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,002 Posts
The older Shimano STI levers did actually eat cables. So did the older Campy Ergo shifters...they'd stab you in the thumb when the fraying started.
Well that Trek I showed you has the 5600 Flight Deck shifters and didn't chew till around 6000 miles. I can tolerate that as normal maintenance. 1500-2000 miles is premature which is what I'm dealing with now with the newer shifters. 6000 is acceptable. 1500 is not acceptable. But that's just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update: Finally got my bike switched out to the CRX group. Between keeping an eye on my kid who is virtually going to school, I haven’t had much time to work on the bike. Then my hydraulic brakes started acting up and finally had a friend of mine troubleshoot them today.
Will ride the bike tomorrow. And give my unscientific opinion about the group.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My half assed review of the Sensah CRX 11 speed group that I bought on Ali Express to hopefully upgrade my brakes and bring my bike into the modern bike tech gestalt. I had a mixture of XT and XTR on my rigid carbon 29er that I bought online ten years ago in 2010. I had integrated 9 speed XT shifters with XTR front and rear derailleur with a 36/46 XT crank and no, that’s not a typo. This crankset was the downhill specific version that I used on my cross bike for a while. Just to make things interesting my shifters were the brake levers and rapid rise to boot. Brakes were hydraulic XT ice tech.
I preferred to ride as a rigid set up because of the trails in my backyard were dry, dusty singletrack in the foothills of the Sandia mountains.
One of the downside of the XT setup was that there was no adjustments to the levers. I have big paws and had to slide my hand to the edge to. Tap up or down on the levers to up or downshift. There were more than a few times when I accidentally downshifted and mumbled curses at the lever shifters design.
A few months ago, in the beginning of the pandemic, I came across the Chinese group set and I was skeptical but it stuck in my mind and the next month, I decided in the name of research and being stuck at home with a first grader which can explain poor decision making reasons on my side, I plunged into this and then waited and waited and waited because de joy took all the joy out of my plans by slow walking the USPS mail delivery. I finally got them and put them on my bike and finally ride after fixing additional glitches like my BB and brakes with help from a friend.

The shifters shift and the brakes stop . No revelations. Right now, this is a 1x running 11-36 in the back and the shifting is good. The brakes are a big improvement in feel and modulation at the levers. For some weird reasons, these levers work better than my XT levers although both are hydraulic.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts