Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the rear derailleur from the frame of my 1983 Trek road bike and, subsequently, lost the bolt (and possible other pieces) that holds the derailleur on the frame. Is it just a bolt that holds this on? What allows it to move? Are there other pieces I have lost?

I have attached photos of the frame where the hanger is as well as the vintage Campy 980 RD.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,817 Posts
The older Campy derailleurs just use a bolt as compared to the modern stuff with bolt, spring, base plate, clip, etc. I'm not sure if the 980 uses the same bolt as Nuovo and Super Record, but if anything like those, it will be difficult and expensive to replace. Start searching eBay, but you may find getting a whole new (used) RD costs about the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply! I was able to find a bolt that had the same threads. However, when tightened, the RD does not really get to move up and down as it should and it seems the bolt would just work its way loose as the RD does try to move. Make sense? Just wondering if there was some type of shim or something that went inside to allow it to move. Plus the bolt is a normal hex bolt and looks pretty stupid.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
What might be appropriate is called a shoulder screw. It has a fatter cylindrical part and smaller diameter threads. The cylindrical part would fit the bore in the derailleur and its edge would bottom out on the hanger so as not to pinch the derailleur and prevent it from swinging. You might find something you could make work at McMaster.

McMaster-Carr

Alternatively you could make a sleeve to go over part of the threads of a fully threaded screws.

FWIW: Virtually all the threaded fasteners on a bike are technically called screws. Engineers and fastener distributors will all call them screws. Only bicyclists and other lay people call them bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts