Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got a sweet new ('05) bianchi eros shipped to me, but i can't seem to finish putting it together (it came in a box). the rear derailleur (Campy Mirage) came attached, but it's wrong somehow... the chain pulley goes directly back (instead of mostly down), so the chain goes back over part of the derailleur. I've kind of tried to fix it, and i have a 'complete guid to bicycle maintenance and repair' book, but i really don't know what to do! Please help me! I bet it's really simple.
thanks so much,
tucker

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
tvrb said:
so i just got a sweet new ('05) bianchi eros shipped to me, but i can't seem to finish putting it together (it came in a box). the rear derailleur (Campy Mirage) came attached, but it's wrong somehow... the chain pulley goes directly back (instead of mostly down), so the chain goes back over part of the derailleur. I've kind of tried to fix it, and i have a 'complete guid to bicycle maintenance and repair' book, but i really don't know what to do! Please help me! I bet it's really simple.
thanks so much,
tucker
Picture?

TF

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sounds like the chain is too long

Does the situation you're describing happen when you're shifted to the small ring in front and the small cog in the back? Shift into different gears and see what the derailleur does. Shift into the largest ring and largest cog, and see if the derailleur pulley cage still has some room to move. If so, the chain can be shortened a few links.

If you don't have that extra chain length, it may not really be an issue anyway, since that small-small gear combination is one you shouldn't use anyway (it's duplicated by other more efficient combinations). This bike has 3 chainrings, right? If so, you would normally only use the smallest chainring with the 4 or 5 biggest cogs in the back, so you'd never see that loose-chain situation where the derailleur cage has to swing all the way back to take up the extra slack.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Is the rear wheel installed?

If the rear wheel isn't installed, the derailleur will "fold up" (for lack of a better phrase) because the cassette isn't there to take up the normal slack in the chain. When you put the wheel in and pull it up into place, the jockey cages will swing down into their normal position.

If the rear wheel is installed ... is the chain threaded incorrectly? Starting on top, it should go around the cogs in the cassette, wrap around the front of the top jockey wheel, and then around the back of the bottom jockey wheel.

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
The Doh! installation

Allez Rouge said:
If the rear wheel is installed ... is the chain threaded incorrectly? Starting on top, it should go around the cogs in the cassette, wrap around the front of the top jockey wheel, and then around the back of the bottom jockey wheel.
Yes, and it should go INSIDE the tangs on the pulley cage :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thank you so much for the great responses. i figured out what was wrong; it was in the lowest rear gear and highest front gear, and very poorly adjusted for each. i finally made it to the bike shop on a beautiful friday afternoon (yesterday) and they fixed EVERYTHING (both derailleurs, pumped the tires, front and back breaks, etc. ;-)) right in front of me for no charge...bought a few extra supplies, but they were good and so nice too. support local!
thanks to the responses i had been able to at least ride it once before bringing it to the shop.
have a good weekend,
tucker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.