Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some pulley noise and vibration on the rear derailleur. This bike is from 2004 and I've never really serviced the rear derailleur so I assume the pulleys may need replacing due to wear? It is much more noticeable on the smaller end of the cassette than the larger, so the 12 it is extremely noticeable while the 26 I can't really tell. It also is much more noticeable when in the big ring on the front derailleur for whatever reason.

I took a good look a few minutes ago and the noise and feeling I get through the pedals is definitely when each next link from the chain engages the casette or top pulley, or possibly disengages the top pulley.

Any possibility this is just a worn chain instead of some rear derailleur issue? The chain and cassette probably have about 4000 miles or less on them, so I'm about due for a chain.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Your chain is probably way gone. Likely several of the cogs are worn from running the worn chain. A new chain will probably act badly on the old cassette, so you probably need to replace both.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.