Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building up a Colnago C-40 with Campy Record 10 speed components and I have a question on the rear durailleur.

I will have a Campy Record 12/25 cassette and a Campy 53/42 crank (i believe). I have ordered a 'short cage' rear durailleur, but for no particular reason other than I like the look of the short cage (and I know it will work). I will be spending a few dollars, so I was wondering if it will be fine, or would a medium cage be better. Any advantages or disadvantages to either one?

As always, everyones imput is appreciated.

PS: My mind is made up on Campy Record 10 Speed, so don't try to change my mind!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
the only reason for a longer cage is more "chain wrap" -- the ability to take up more slack. If you have a wider range cassette and/or chainring set, you need more wrap.

If a short cage derailleur will work with the parts you'bve chosen (and I think you're right that it will --you can check the specs to be sure), then there's no reason for a medium cage, unless you envision changes in the future that it won't accomodate. There's no other "advantage."

To determine needed wrap, add the difference between the rings to the difference between the largest and smallest cogs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All:

Thanks for the feedback. I have checked the specs and the short cage will work so I will be OK. I really wasn't certain if there were any advantages or disadvantages.

Again, thank you!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Short cage is fine.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Why a 42 instead of a 39??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may very well be 39, that was why I wrote "I believe" with regards to the crank.
The Campy Record 10 Speed Crank was a last minute negotiated 'throw in' on the C-40 and I honestly could remember if it was 42 or 39 (hard to believe). I noted 53/42 because that is what my Campy C-Record crank is on my current steel frame bike.

I will confirm thisweek.

Will it factor in to the use of the 'short cage' rear durailleur?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts