Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on the commute home. very minor, no damage to bike or me, but a mind F*&K nonetheless...

walking out of the office, a co-worker says to me (expressing concern) "you riding alone?". She did not know i always commute alone, to the tune of 260 commutes over the last 2+ years. "it's all good" I say, thinking 'she has no clue, i do this all the time' in my head...'be safe" are the last words i hear.

as i leave on my regular route, i actually think how ironic it would be if i crashed or got involved in some kind of incident, considering that i had someone i rarely see is concerned and wishing me well on my commute home (i'm still relegating her concern to irrelevance in my head...)

so i'm in traffic, small town in a line of cars, i take the lane and drift along with traffic...too narrow to pass on the right and cars lined up 20 deep behind me. its all in control. next thing i know, a car two cars up wants to parallel park, stops to throw it in reverse...two cars in front of me pause, first one passes on the left by going into the vacant lane of oncoming traffic. i'm thinking the truck in front of me will do the same...i look back to check rear traffic, then look forward to accelerate anticipating passing the parking car on the left. NOT! i see the explorer, dead stop and not passing in front of me, grab brakes, skid, and hit the rear bumper with my front tire. next thing i know i'm on the ground, traffic is stopped, and i freekin rear-ended a ford explorer in traffic. LAME!

the guy was real nice, even apologised, (dude its MY fault!) I cant believe that i let my mind lapse for a second for this to occur. i consider myself lucky that it was not worse. just a simple reminder to pay attention out there and NEVER stop concentrating/anticipating the traffic around me.

be safe out there,

rash :rolleyes:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Ah Hah! It's the old "watch where you're going" tip. Thanks for the reminder. I wish I could tell you I've never done anything like that, but........... :eek:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You missed the perfect opportunity to yell something like, "Get on the sidewalk where you belong, moron!" That would have really thrown him....

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
rash said:
...on the commute home. very minor, no damage to bike or me, but a mind F*&K nonetheless...

walking out of the office, a co-worker says to me (expressing concern) "you riding alone?". She did not know i always commute alone, to the tune of 260 commutes over the last 2+ years. "it's all good" I say, thinking 'she has no clue, i do this all the time' in my head...'be safe" are the last words i hear.

as i leave on my regular route, i actually think how ironic it would be if i crashed or got involved in some kind of incident, considering that i had someone i rarely see is concerned and wishing me well on my commute home (i'm still relegating her concern to irrelevance in my head...)

so i'm in traffic, small town in a line of cars, i take the lane and drift along with traffic...too narrow to pass on the right and cars lined up 20 deep behind me. its all in control. next thing i know, a car two cars up wants to parallel park, stops to throw it in reverse...two cars in front of me pause, first one passes on the left by going into the vacant lane of oncoming traffic. i'm thinking the truck in front of me will do the same...i look back to check rear traffic, then look forward to accelerate anticipating passing the parking car on the left. NOT! i see the explorer, dead stop and not passing in front of me, grab brakes, skid, and hit the rear bumper with my front tire. next thing i know i'm on the ground, traffic is stopped, and i freekin rear-ended a ford explorer in traffic. LAME!

the guy was real nice, even apologised, (dude its MY fault!) I cant believe that i let my mind lapse for a second for this to occur. i consider myself lucky that it was not worse. just a simple reminder to pay attention out there and NEVER stop concentrating/anticipating the traffic around me.

be safe out there,

rash :rolleyes:
They have Take-A-Look mirrors at Colorado Cyclist. - TF

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol

The Walrus said:
You missed the perfect opportunity to yell something like, "Get on the sidewalk where you belong, moron!" That would have really thrown him....
that woulda thrown him for a loop! I'm just glad is wasn't a crash of sigficance...we all need reminders periodically and I'm glad I got mine in such an innocent fashion : )

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't feel bad, I almost did the same thing last night when the old Chevy Sprint I was behind stalled at the traffic light just as it turned green.

I have t-boned a pickup before but that was years ago.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
When reality steps in

I've done this quite a few times while looking over my shoulder at a babe going the other way. Always manage to check her out a little too long then "Buuuump!" woops, sorry I bounced off of your bumper. I'll never learn. Good thing your bike wasn't seriously injured. Oh, you too.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
yes, sometimes we are the cause of a crash...

back in college CU-boulder
i was heading to the gym and flew from a path onto the street. Darn narrow street pretty much one lane but two direction. a Minivan was coming headon. I couldn't see it because of parked cars i was swinging around. I fly over the hood and land almost on the sidewalk. The guy was really apologetic. But i was pretty quick to correct that and let him know i was sorry and it was on me...

he had a little scuff on his bumper (which i saw the next 2 years ever time i went down that road) he must have been a teacher.

broke a couple ribs in that one and cut up my hands but my ego was hurt the most.

oh, i don't suggest doing leg presses in the gym too soon after busting a rib. a slight pain turned into painful breathing for 2 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts