Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided that the extra drag in my freehub body on my campy zondas was getting too bad to let go, so I decided to clean and service that and the rest of the hub while I was at it. When pedaling backwards, the wheel would spin with the cassette.
I have some phill wood bearing grease already and picked up some tenacious oil as well to do the service. I pulled apart the whole hub, cleaned everything out, bearings, races, hub surfaces, axle, bearing seals etc. I reassembled it with copious amounts of grease on the bearings, packed in the races, and inside the hub. I put a drop or two of tenacious oil on the bearing seals as well. I then put some tenacious oil on the pawls (after cleaning of course) and reassembled. I set the preload just until play was taken out of the axel, then re installed the cassette body and put everything back together.

When comparing to the front wheel, the rear now has A LOT of drag when spinning in my hand. I don't recall if it is more or less than when I started. The freehub body spins a bit more smoothly, but not a huge amount. The axel for sure doesn't spin as freely as the front, which spins like crazy. Tt feels like it is stuck in all the fresh grease. I disassembled it a second time to double check that all the parts are in the correct order/location and re assembled and set the preload as described above. Is this something that will go away with time as the grease sets in? Did I use too much grease? Should I have used some other product? I don't feel any grinding, but it does feel "slugish/stuck". Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Thick grease

batman1425 said:
So I finally decided that the extra drag in my freehub body on my campy zondas was getting too bad to let go, so I decided to clean and service that and the rest of the hub while I was at it. When pedaling backwards, the wheel would spin with the cassette.
I have some phill wood bearing grease already and picked up some tenacious oil as well to do the service. I pulled apart the whole hub, cleaned everything out, bearings, races, hub surfaces, axle, bearing seals etc. I reassembled it with copious amounts of grease on the bearings, packed in the races, and inside the hub. I put a drop or two of tenacious oil on the bearing seals as well. I then put some tenacious oil on the pawls (after cleaning of course) and reassembled. I set the preload just until play was taken out of the axel, then re installed the cassette body and put everything back together.

When comparing to the front wheel, the rear now has A LOT of drag when spinning in my hand. I don't recall if it is more or less than when I started. The freehub body spins a bit more smoothly, but not a huge amount. The axel for sure doesn't spin as freely as the front, which spins like crazy. Tt feels like it is stuck in all the fresh grease. I disassembled it a second time to double check that all the parts are in the correct order/location and re assembled and set the preload as described above. Is this something that will go away with time as the grease sets in? Did I use too much grease? Should I have used some other product? I don't feel any grinding, but it does feel "slugish/stuck". Any thoughts?
Assuming the axle turned smoothly with no binding or gritty feelings (you have the bearings properly adjusted) then it most likely is just the thickness of the grease. Despite the fact that Phil Wood grease has many devoted fans, IMO it is pretty darn stiff for bicycle hub, pedal, and crankset bearings. That said, it will thin a bit with use, or at least get pushed out of the way, and thing will turn easier. In any case, it's a pretty small effect out on the road.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Bearing seals not in right place

I had this same symptom after doing an overhaul on my Fulcrum 1 rear hub. (They're campy hubs). The white seal that is placed over the bearings fits into a groove. If you pack a lot of grease in the bearings, it is hard to ensure that seal fits into the groove all the way around. If its in just slightly crooked, you will get the symptom described. try to remove a bit of the new grease, and move the seals around until you can see that they're evenly fitted all the way around.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
assuming the seals are aligned and everything is put together correctly....I'd seriously look at the Phil Wood grease/tenacious oil combo. Those are a very thick combo. I had a similar issue with a Mavic hub. The fix was to tear it down and reassemble with Chris Kings special lube for their hubs. It is a white liquid compound that may be used in both the bearings (yeah, I 'packed' my sealed bearings with it) and the remainder of the moving/engaging parts of the hub. Assuming you tear it down once a year or so, it should be fine. It will fix the drag problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.