Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a new set of Xero XR-1's. When I hold the rear wheel in my hands by the outside edge of the hubs (where the hubs meet the bike frame) and spin the wheel, there is a thumping sensation. Not a noise and the wheel rolls smooth over all, but you can feel a repetitive thump. Is this normal or do I have a bad hub?

Also, I'm not talking about the freewheel.. I know that is supposed to click.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Do you mean that the entire wheel is oscillating in your hands (up, down, up, down, quickly)? If so then this is normal. The rim has two things that contribute to this: the weld joint and the valve stem hole. The valve stem hole is an obvious removal of material (albeit not very much) and the weld joint is usually heavier than the rest of the rim because of the way they join the rim together. The valve stem and the weld joint are usually opposite of each other.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Squidward said:
Do you mean that the entire wheel is oscillating in your hands (up, down, up, down, quickly)? If so then this is normal. The rim has two things that contribute to this: the weld joint and the valve stem hole. The valve stem hole is an obvious removal of material (albeit not very much) and the weld joint is usually heavier than the rest of the rim because of the way they join the rim together. The valve stem and the weld joint are usually opposite of each other.
No, if I simply twist the bearing on either side of the rear hub, I get a thumping or thunking.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Re-pack the bearings. Wait, if they're sealed, take it apart and find the faulty bearing. Sometimes, re-building a hub makes the noises go away.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Yeah, what he said :D

If they are loose bearings then maybe they put in one less bearing than required. If sealed then you probably have a bad bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts