Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just joined so forgive any posting issues, read in the margins a while with interest. Anyhow I currently have a full 9 speed Record set up which works perfectly. However I can get a good deal (£100 boxed with cables) on a set of Centaur 10 speed levers (the new shape carbon covered ones) so I'm aware I will also need a new cassette and chain. My hubs already take 9/10/11 cassettes and my chainrings say 9/10 on them so okay there. Moneys been stopping me so far, couldn't justify it for one more cog but now I can do the lot for about £150 I'm happy to upgrade. However my current rear mech is a Record titanium one, hopefully I've attached a picture properly. I've read that some 9 speed mechs work okay with 10 speed levers, some early ones don't. Simple question is does anybody know for sure if my mech will or not as the outlay for a new mech will probably still leave me in 9 speed land so I'd like to be super sure before I start spending!
Thanks for any advice, Steve.
View attachment 282636

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Surely Campy must have a compatibility chart somewhere?

Since the shifter controls the RD movement I'd automatically think that it would work but I've learned that it sometimes won't, especially with the higher-level components.

Do yourself a favor and put an end cap on that cable! I was stabbed by one once and it goes reallllllly deep and takes forever to heal.

Edit: I just did a google search and it seems that Campy stuff has many incompatibilities. Some people have found creative ways to attach the cable to the RD to change the pull ratio.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
If your RD is the most modern, the "B" screw will be hidden under the main pivot. Older RDs have the traditional screw, out in plain sight and bearing against the frame dropout. Even then there may be some problem, since it appears that Campy made more changes to the RD, beginning in 2009. This difference should be minor, but could be similar to the 10/11 speed RD change.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/campy-10-rd-11-speed-drivetrain-160601.html

The newer model should work with 10 speed. Keep in mind that the Centaur levers are the limited function power shift design that only shift one cog smaller with each push of the thumb button. The FD also dumps down to the little ring with one click.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.