Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rear rack for Fuji Gran Fondo

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
I'd like to put a rear rack on my Gran Fondo, but all I'm finding are racks that clamp to the seat post. I'm worried that the seat post will break under the load of the rack/gear.

The Gran Fondo (2.5c) has threads for a rear fender. Does someone make a rack that can bolt onto those threads (with a seat post attachment for stability)? Is that a good idea?

Thanks.

#2 ·
i'm unfamiliar with the gran fondo. but you say it has threaded eyelets on or near the rear dropouts for a rack? you may be able to mount a rack there and secure it to the brake bridge or seatstays. here's an image of a newer fuji from the web where this is done.

i use a vintage blackburn in this manner and have it mounted behind the brake on the brake bridge. planet bike (among many others) makes an affordable rear rack currently.

you might want to paste a pic of your bike here for more help.

racks often show their weight limits in pounds that will help you select one.

note that many modern road bikes are not really built with the intention of using touring devices like racks, fenders and panniers. you may want to invest in a sport tourer designed for this purpose. here's my '76 motobécane grand record with its blackburn rack and banjo brothers grocery pannier.

#3 ·
Thank you. I want a light-duty rack so I can carry clothes, etc. (maybe 10 lbs). It would be heavier than a fender but I wouldn't be carrying a lot of weight. Here's a photo (not my bike, I grabbed it off the web) showing the location of the threaded eyelets (just above the axle). My Gran Fondo has carbon frame, so I can't drill or braze it. It would be ideal if someone made a custom-fitted rack to my Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Black Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
bike.

#6 ·
Thank you. I want a light-duty rack so I can carry clothes, etc. (maybe 10 lbs). It would be heavier than a fender but I wouldn't be carrying a lot of weight. Here's a photo (not my bike, I grabbed it off the web) showing the location of the threaded eyelets (just above the axle). My Gran Fondo has carbon frame, so I can't drill or braze it. It would be ideal if someone made a custom-fitted rack to my View attachment 315769 bike.
Hi. Where is that mounting hardware from? I bought SKS fenders and hardware isn't compatible with rear facing bosses (eyelets?) Thanks

#7 ·
If the seatpost is carbon, buy an Al one and use the seatpost mount style. If it's AL, then your fine.
^^^This.^^^

Go to your lbs. With those mounts, your bike will take just about any rear rack. Personally, I like the Topeak racks.
^^^And this.^^^ Topeak has a great system where you can slide the bag onto the rack and it latches in. No tie-downs to worry about. I have them on most of my bikes, some are the seatpost mount type, others are the frame mount type:

#9 ·
Honestly No Time Toulouse, you're just a bitter old curmudgeon. I happen to love a good thread dredge - better than a good dump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.