Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a commuter on a Surly Crosscheck, and will soon do some very short
touring. I am planning to get a rear rack and panniers. I have read reviews that
point to a couple of reliable pannier systems. But what about the rear rack?
Do I need the more expensive rack? And what about used panniers and rear racks?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Likely nothing wrong with used if you can find a set in good shape.

I like sturdy rear racks. They aren't all that expensive anyway. You sure don't want your load moving around on you. Blackburn and Jandd are my faves.

OTOH Topeak brand stuff usually is a great value and works well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I strongly reccomend Tubus racks. Very sturdy. Mounting holes for tail light etc.
As for bags, Ortlieb has a good reputation. I have a pair of Cannondale panniers and today after only light use the zipper failed on one. You get waht you pay for.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
get as much rack/bag as you can afford.

I got the Surly Nice Rack for the rear of my Cross Check. I haven't used it much yet but with summer upon us I will start using it to haul stuff to work in lieu of having a hot bag on my back.

Its expensive, steel, and bomb-proof.

bubba9646 said:
But what about the rear rack?
Do I need the more expensive rack? And what about used panniers and rear racks?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a Cross Check with an Old Man Mountain Red Rock rack. http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html

The rack is fantastic. The beauty of this rack is that it bolts to the seat stays underneath the the brazes for the rear brake. It's super solid, and was pretty easy to mount. FWIW, I've been using for over 1 year, and have had no problems with it. I recommend it.

Oh, I also use Ortlieb panniers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.