Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What where the announcers on Eurosport talking about that tom boonen was using a 7 or 8 rear sprocket and a narrow chain?

Boonen isn't using a 9 or 10 rear sprocket?

Or have the commentators not heard about 9 or 10 rear sprockets?

·
Banned
923 Posts
David Duffield (or Duffers as he is known) is known to ramble - but his 8 sprocket gaffe was one of his best recently - along with the assertion that Mont Ventoux is an extinct volcano....

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bianchigirl said:
David Duffield (or Duffers as he is known) is known to ramble - but his 8 sprocket gaffe was one of his best recently - along with the assertion that Mont Ventoux is an extinct volcano....

Thanks for the clarifications. :)

It is 9:08 am EST, and I can't find the live cycling.. I'm getting some sort of running race.

I checked the other channels ( 1 through 7) and its in different languages. ARRGGHH!

mms://vipeurosport.yacast.net/eus_liveaudio03

And the last live comments are:

Live comments
14:54 AND THE SPRINT POINTS GO TO: 1. Posthuma 3 points and 3 secs 2. Aerts 2 pts and 2 secs 3. Mourey 1 pt and 1 sec

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is back with cycling..

Open this URL in windows media player.

bas said:
Thanks for the clarifications. :)

It is 9:08 am EST, and I can't find the live cycling.. I'm getting some sort of running race.

I checked the other channels ( 1 through 7) and its in different languages. ARRGGHH!

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Tis'not an extinct volcano -- believe me, I've done geology field trips on the slopes of the Ventoux. The white top is not snow, it's limestone (sea-bed deposits) uplifted in the pre-alpine fold that is the ventoux, it's sister mountain the montagne de Lure and the Albion plateau/monts de vaucluse that lie between the two.

Remember, don't believe everything NASA might tell us, they told us 30 degrees weather wouldn't have a negative impact on the solid booster o-rings and that it was safe to re-enter w/ some foam impact damage on the shuttle's wing. (By the way, there's some great reading to be done on NASA's internal communication problems by the physicist Feinman and by Edward Tufte)

-- but I digress,

here is the low-down on the Ventoux:

La Géologie

Le Mont-Ventoux culmine à 1912 mètres d’altitude, il se présente sous la forme d’une arête orientée est-ouest.
Le Mont-Ventoux se caractérise comme un plissement de type provençalo-pyrénéen, même si géographiquement on peut le rattacher au massif alpin. Les Monts du Vaucluse sont le prolongement naturel du Ventoux.

Ces formations ont évolué sous l’effet de l’orogenèse (phase d’édification des reliefs) des massifs alpins, l’apparition et la disparition des différentes mers lors du passage de climats tropicaux humides à des climats beaucoup plus froids et secs. La topographie très contrastée du paysage actuel (monts, plateaux, vallées, reliefs de buttes et de collines…) est la conséquence directe de ces modifications climatiques.

Now the Puy de Dome... there's a bona-fide volcano!

A+

Philippe

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
The Geology

The Mount ventoux peaks to 1912 meters of altitude, it presents himself under the form of an oriented fishbone is west. The Mount ventoux characterizes itself as a type plissement provençalo-pyrénéen, even so geographically one can relate it to the massive alpine one. The Mounts of the Vaucluse are the natural extension of the Ventoux.

These formations evolved under the effect of the orogenèse (édification phase of the reliefs) of the massive alpine one, the apparition and the disappearance of the different seas at the time of the passage of tropical humid climates to climates a lot colder ones and drier. The very contrasted topography of the current landscape (mounts, plateaus, valleys, reliefs of mound and of hills…) is the direct consequence of these climatic modifications.

Interesting. I have always heard that it was an extinct volcano and when I did a google seach there were tons of websites that backed it up. Oh well, it does not matter, I just want to ride it.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
the oddity of the Ventoux is that it is apparently detached from the pre-alpine foothills that form the Monts de Vaucluse, the Montagne de Lure and the Monts du Luberon -- and very much looks like an extinct volcano.
I suspect once someone (NASA?) incorrectly id'd the mountain as a lava-belcher, the misinformation got repeated ad infinitum... behold, the power of the internet!

In any case, You are right to want to climb the beastly thing. It is a great climb, a screaming descente (my personal top speed coming down was a stint at 98 km/hr!) and the area around it is God's gift to cyclists and wine-drinkers and food-lovers, and... the list goes on.

Here's to seeing you one day on the slopes of the Ventoux!

A+
Philippe

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were you riding one of those 7 or 8 rear sprockets with narrow chains?

philippec said:
the oddity of the Ventoux is that it is apparently detached from the pre-alpine foothills that form the Monts de Vaucluse, the Montagne de Lure and the Monts du Luberon -- and very much looks like an extinct volcano.
I suspect once someone (NASA?) incorrectly id'd the mountain as a lava-belcher, the misinformation got repeated ad infinitum... behold, the power of the internet!

In any case, You are right to want to climb the beastly thing. It is a great climb, a screaming descente (my personal top speed coming down was a stint at 98 km/hr!) and the area around it is God's gift to cyclists and wine-drinkers and food-lovers, and... the list goes on.

Here's to seeing you one day on the slopes of the Ventoux!

A+
Philippe

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bas said:
What where the announcers on Eurosport talking about that tom boonen was using a 7 or 8 rear sprocket and a narrow chain?

Boonen isn't using a 9 or 10 rear sprocket?

Or have the commentators not heard about 9 or 10 rear sprockets?
Actually, Boonen has been restricted to 8 in the interrest of fair play. Sort of like NASCAR restrictor plates. - TF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts