Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, last night I replaced my rear tire and tube on my old commuter road bike. Today I noticed that the tire is not centered relative to the frame (the part of the frame directly behind the crank), not sure what it is called. The tire looks good to me. No brake rub and the wheel looks true..

I was careful in adjusting the quick release and opposite adjustment nut.

If the tire is not centered relative to the frame does this mean that the tire is not installed correctly?

Thanks---

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One think I just realized is that there may be a type of "washer" on the quick adjustment side of the wheel hub. Perhaps this is not positioned correctly?

It is terrible when you cannot discribe the parts of your bike correctly. Cost of being new...

Help...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The rim (metal part) should be perfectly centered between the seat stays (two upper tubes) and the chain stays (two lower tubes). The tire should be straight on the rim, but some tires have a bit of wiggle to them.

There should be no loose washers anywhere on the axle or QR. There will be 2 conical springs to keep the QR centered. If the skewer is adjusted correctly, there should be no good reason to mess with the nut. Just flip the skewer and remove the wheel.

What kind of dropouts does your bike have, horizontal or vertical?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Chances are the wheel's not exactly centered.

With the bike standing on a level surface, squat behind the rear wheel. Slowly open the quick-release lever. If the wheel was slightly off-center, it will pop into exact center at one point as you open the quick release lever. You can actually hear it in a quiet location. Carefully close the quick-release lever again, taking care not to bump the wheel or tilt the bike.

Edit: Posted this before I saw your 'horizontal dropout reply.' What I wrote doesn't work well with horizontal dropouts, sorry.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Horizontal.
Are there thumbscrews to adjust the wheel position?

No, adjusting the QR thumbscrew would only make the wheel looser or tighter when it is clamped. It has nothing to do with the position. The QR should start to become tight when it is perpendicular to the bike. You should have to press hard with your palm to close it.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Simple thing to try

Muaythaibike said:
So how do I fix this?????
With the bike upright and both wheels sitting on the ground, flip the rear QR skewer open, pull the wheel all the way back in the frame. That likely will automatically center the wheel. If it doesn't, center it yourself and then close the QR. Then check to see if the wheel is centered under the brake. If it is, you are good to go.

If it is not centered both at the chain stays and the brake bridge, then your wheel dish may be off and you will need a bike shop to re-dish the wheel. You can check your wheel dish by taking the wheel out and flipping it around (cogs on the opposite side from the derailleur). If the wheel is now off center in the opposite direction, then wheel dish is your problem. If not, your frame alignment could be off. At that point, it is time for a trip to a good bike shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.