Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding last Sunday, with in the last mile of my ride my bike felt a little sluggish. At first I thought it was just me and that I may have pushed my self a little too hard.

After reaching home I didn't think about it too much and put the bike back in it's place on the trainer in the rec room.

Last night I went into rec room to only find my rear tire has gone flat. After looking at the tire, I found several small holes and a couple of very small cuts over about a 4 to 6 inch strip along the tire. I don't recall hitting or running anything over that could have caused this?

I'll removing the tire today afterwork and taking a closer look at both the tire and tube. What's the best way to mark the tube before removing it out from the tire to see if these holes/slits line up on the tube?

Do you think I could still use the tire or should I buy a replacement?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I never heard of anyone marking a tube for that. Just don't rotate the tire on the rim, and note where the hole is in relation to the valve stem.

How big are the cuts? First find where the leak is on the tube, by pumping it up outside the tire, to see if that is actually the source. (your leak may be unrelated) Then see whether any of the tire body cord is cut, or is it just the rubber. Replace or patch tube, reinstall, inflate. If it doesn't bulge, tire is probably useable.

unless it's a big rock or pothole, nobody ever remembers running over what caused the puncture. Most such hazards are essentially invisible.

It's a flat. If you ride on the road, you will have many, and will learn to deal with them.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCavilia:

The cuts are very small... the longest one maybe a 1/4" or little smaller than that as the others are too. The holes (about 4) are a little bigger than a pin head.

I will note the valve stem in relation to the holes/cuts when removing from the tire and inflate the tube when removed.

I know I will have to deal flats when riding on the road but this is only my 2nd flat in 2 years of riding. The first one I knew when, where and how...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure if you know or not but lots of riders place the tire label matched to the stem while installing on rim. Makes for a good reference when locating punctured tubes in relation to finding the debris/hole in the tire.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You've been lucky (so far). Those holes and cuts may be unrelated to the puncture, or your tire could be dead. Just have to check. Sounds like you ran over a patch of glass shards or similar.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the tube out last night... cuts / hole are totally unrelated. None of then go through to casing.

Pump air into the tube and heard air hissing out by the stem. Looked around and few more pumps of air... found a pin hole about an inch away from stem. Matched it with the tire and wolaaaa.... a small piece of metal like pin substance pierced the tire and was hanging out the inner side of the tire. Pulled it out and check for any other foriegn objects. Put the new tube in and all is good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Good for you. That's the technique. That little bit of wire could have been a fragment of the steel belt from a truck tire that got shredded. Very common cause of flats IME, and sometimes hard to find, because the hole can be very tiny.

Oh, if you're concerned about stuff getting into those holes and cuts and eventually making a real hole, you can fill them with a dab of silicone sealant or Shoe Goo. I do this sometimes. Hard to say if it really helps, but doesn't seem to hurt, and only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
JCavilia said:
Oh, if you're concerned about stuff getting into those holes and cuts and eventually making a real hole, you can fill them with a dab of silicone sealant or Shoe Goo. I do this sometimes. Hard to say if it really helps, but doesn't seem to hurt, and only takes a few seconds.
now there's a good idea! never thaught of that one.. thanks! :aureola:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
The next time you install a tire/tube align the valve stem with the label on the tire. It makes it easier to find where the flat is relative to the tire.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
The next time you install a tire/tube align the valve stem with the label on the tire. It makes it easier to find where the flat is relative to the tire.
Sombody mentioned this... make sense, so that's the way I re-installed the tire, thanks Mr. Versatile

JCavilia said:
I would have never thought of that, good Idea... I also like the super glue thing Kerry Irons mentioned becuase I have some handy. I'll have to do that, I'm riding a 100 miler next weekend and what all the protection I can get.

Thank guys :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts