Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just got a shimano dura ace HB 7600 ( high flange single side track hub) 36h and a velocity deep v 36h clincher rim....

i wanted to go with a mixed lacing pattern... i was thinking either 3x/radial or 4x/radial ..... anyone want to tell me if this would be fine or not... what problems i would encounter with going mixed... and is 3x or 4x better for the drive side? any recomendations for spokes? i wanted something semi aero possibly bladed but will fit in the standard hub holes, or stick with standard 14g, or will double butted be fine?

thanks again in advance.
all comments are welcome..

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I don't know exactly what this hub looks like, but I would lace it the same way it was before... you don't want to be making new grooves in the flange that will weaken it. Aero spokes like CX-Rays are a good bet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rruff said:
I don't know exactly what this hub looks like, but I would lace it the same way it was before... you don't want to be making new grooves in the flange that will weaken it. Aero spokes like CX-Rays are a good bet.
there are no groves yet.... it is unlaced/virgin....

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood... thought it was an old wheel. At any rate the slender body will not be transfering much torque on the NDS... not that it would matter anyway with such a large flange. It would be best to lace it with some cross pattern though unless you can find that Shimano blesses radial lacing with this hub. 2 or 3x DS, and 2x NDS would be fine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rruff said:
Sorry I misunderstood... thought it was an old wheel. At any rate the slender body will not be transfering much torque on the NDS... not that it would matter anyway with such a large flange. It would be best to lace it with some cross pattern though unless you can find that Shimano blesses radial lacing with this hub. 2 or 3x DS, and 2x NDS would be fine.

i think 2x/3x or a regular 3x will be fine then... i would love SAPIM CX-RAYS.. but where would be the cheapest place to order? anyone can point me in the right direction? ill need 36 of them... and what other bladed spokes would be equivalent to rays... and will i need to slot the holes on the hub to make them fit? or will they fit fine thru the regular holes?

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
If this is actually going on a track bike on a track, use 3X. If this is just a wheel to look cool do what ever you want. Straight gauge or 2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes are the norm for track wheels as well.

CX-Rays and DT Aerolites do not need any hub modifications to work.

-Eric

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
android said:
Word unless they're for poser fixie bike never going near a velodrome. Then anything you want.
i went with 2x/4x thanks again guys... i ended up not doing radial just toyed with the idea but didnt do it.. and went with good ol 14g DT spokes.....

thanks again.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you want the "retro" look, a large flange 36 hole hub can be built 4X.
Slightly stronger than 3X.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.