Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is having the alignment of the rear wheel too much to one side an issue when riding for any reason? I just installed a powertap campy freehub to replace the shimano one I had on there, I've done everything I can think of, taken spacers off, put some on, tried different size ones, but can't seem to line it up. Anyone have any tips? Taking this to a bike shop is a last resort for me because I work off shift and like to do mechanical fixes on my own if possible so I can learn. As you can see from the photo the wheel is too much to the left, although when spinning it does not look off true or anything. I believe it's a spacer issue but I can't figure it out and the Saris instructions are absolutely no help at all.

·
If I only knew...
91 Posts
It's more than likely out of dish. Meaning the rim is not centered over the hub. You'll need to tighten the spokes on the drive-side and probably loosen on the non-drive it looks pretty out of wack. Your gonna need a trueing stand and a dishing tool, although some trueing stands have the dishing tool built in. Spacers can't correct this problem, if it is in fact out of dish.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
coasterbrake said:
It's more than likely out of dish. Meaning the rim is not centered over the hub. You'll need to tighten the spokes on the drive-side and probably loosen on the non-drive it looks pretty out of wack. Your gonna need a trueing stand and a dishing tool, although some trueing stands have the dishing tool built in. Spacers can't correct this problem, if it is in fact out of dish.
In principle I agree. But the OP implies it was in dish before the freehub-body swap, no? And given that dish is relative to the axle faces, spacers absolutely can correct - at least as a band-aid - an out of dish wheel. So assuming it used to be in dish, and all he changed was something in the stack from one axle end to the other, then the problem traces to whatever variables in that stack got changed.

Now, to the OP: have you checked the website of the hub manufacturer? Maybe it says something about Campy bodies, for their hub, having a wider stack, etc.? As a last resort, if everything is fine at the hub, just re-dish the wheel...

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out thanks. It did in fact have to do with the spacers, after playing around with it some more I was able to get it centered as it was before I swapped out the freehub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts