Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't ridden in 15 years and I'm wondering what I could pull off as a mile time. I don't want to train for it, but a 1/4-1/2 mile warmup or stretching is fine. Just curious what I could pull off as a mile time if I haven't run in 15 years and never run more than a mile at a time. I can do a century no big deal and my road rides often average 20mph+ driveway to driveway with a 15+ minute 15mph warmup built into that average.

Just curious.

Just to be clear, this is a single mile attempt. No training leading up to it, not a 5 mile event, etc. Just ONE mile with a short warmup beforehand if necessary, then I'm done with running again for another 15 years.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Be sure and have someone video you at the finish & post it here. Running and cycling are mutually exclusive muscles and all that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7min/mi for multiple miles.. when I could run
I'll only be doing one mile. I can warmup beforehand if that would be beneficial but this isn't part of a 5 mile run. I'll be walking across the street to the high school track, doing 4 laps, and going home.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
no history of running, no training...?

fitness walking pace is ~12-15 min/mile.

aim for 10 min.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Asfos ?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
If you're not an experienced runner, shoot for a 7-8 minute mile. As you gain more fitness, shoot for 6 minutes or faster.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no history of running, no training...?

fitness walking pace is ~12-15 min/mile.

aim for 10 min.
Cycling only. Have never run more than 1 mile at a time as far as I can recall and that was 15+ years ago, if not 20+ or even 25 years ago.
If you're not an experienced runner, shoot for a 7-8 minute mile. As you gain more fitness, shoot for 6 minutes or faster.
Funny how some people say 10 and others say 7, big difference, no?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Cycling only. Have never run more than 1 mile at a time as far as I can recall and that was 15+ years ago, if not 20+ or even 25 years ago.

Funny how some people say 10 and others say 7, big difference, no?
A 10-minute mile is really pu$$y footing it even if you don't run a lot. When I began NROTC in college I was never a runner, and in our formation runs we paced an 8-minute mile. I felt fine.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
With zero run training? I'd say 8 mins would be decent. Probably gonna feel like death for a few days after.

With a couple of weeks of runs, though, sub 6 if you're decently light and fit.

Oh, and four laps is only 1600 meters. You'd be coming up just a bit short... :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
With zero run training? I'd say 8 mins would be decent. Probably gonna feel like death for a few days after.
:D
Yeah, i predict pulled quads, unless he takes it really easy.
Oh, and four laps is only 1600 meters. You'd be coming up just a bit short...
9 meters, 34 centimeters and 4 millimeters short, to be precise.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
6 minutes, 6 seconds, 6 deciseconds

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I ran for 20 years as a side workout. cycling the main thing in my life. I never measured my time or speed once. Though I entered a couple fun runs. I think I did the 10km event at 50 minutes or so 10 years ago.

then shin splints happened and running stopped. yay

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
It will be way, way slower than you think. I ran a sub 6 in college and similarly average 20+ on rides. I thought I would take up running again after 25 years. An 8 minute mile with no training would make me puke. It sucks getting old.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Age? Weight? I'm 52 and don't run much but I could run a sub 7 mile without too much difficulty. I know a lot of fit cyclists who would struggle to break 10 minutes. OTOH, I ride with a guy who at age 62 is a competitive distance runner.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good cycling fitness doesn't transfer to good running fitness. I used to run more than I biked; now its the other way around. I've gotten much faster cycling but I'm now slower at running. My thighs have more power than ever for sprinting short distances but even a mile takes strong calves, ham strings and core strength. I do think doing both activities really compliment eachother.

If you make it in 9:59 or less that would be a win.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.