Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Rebadging" - today's new vocabulary word

The hammer came down. Motivational quotes couldn't save us :rolleyes:

New company taking over certain departments. We get to work for the new company, at least until we train our replacements I'm guessing.

They just called a last-minute meeting to inform us about how are lives shall be affected. Return to our desks to find an email with the subject line, "Welcome to New Company." So warm and fuzzy. :skep:

Transition takes place a few weeks from now. Sigh.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
That sucks... I worked for two separate companies that claimed they where restructuring. One partnered with an investment group who's job was to spit-shine the company books and employees only to sell out to new owners and we all lost our job.

The second was a capital adventure group (spin off) from a Banks investment group who tighten cash flow after 3 years of losing money. In our fourth year of business another large bank rolled into town and bought-out the banks investment group where I worked, they said there are going to revamp/organize the current investment groups. About year later of business as usual, waves of co-workers where called to HR where they (I) where told today will be our last day, pack up your desk, belongings and you can go home.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Time to put a smile on a stick and play nice with the new folks. It won't do any good to show frustration, fear or anger....

Don't play your cards when they are still shuffling the deck. Wait to see what cards you have (if any) and then play them as best you can.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice! I know this is nothing unusual, and it's pretty much what we expected (though hoped it would be later than sooner.)

Not much work getting done today. We are one of the luckier departments in any case.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Just like quail hunting. Don't be the first to flush cause you get shot. Just hold tight and you may be alright.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Best of luck. Suggest you watch "Office Space". It's about a different situation from yours, but its truths are universal.

Gotta go now. I have a meeting with the Bobs.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I've been through several mergers and re-orgs. The fact that I survived them all seems to be a validation that I was viewed as a valuable employee.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I survived three serial acquisitions...but then I came in one monday morning to find a note in my chair that informed me that my position had been eliminated and to go to HR for 'out-processing.'

only gave the beotches 16 years of service for that crap.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,799 Posts
You could always set an email rule to send an out-of-office reply to management that you are taking a few days off to inventory and clean your vast weapon collection.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My current avatar was chosen during my last bout with unemployment. Guess it’s relevant once again?

But we’ll see. I suspect it might be a better deal to get fired now, than to get fired later by the new company. They have a different severance package etc.

This decision is actually making the news due to the controversy (hint: Disney.) But that’s a topic for PO.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
You might want to consider writing up some letters that extol your virtues and such, then get your current management and such to sign them. Then hand them the same such letters to them (signed by you). Such letters of testimonial and recommendation most likely won't help now, but might be a help when looking for your next job. The same is true for the managers (assuming they're in the same boat), as signed testimonials from prior employees could help them as well. If you don't need them, you're only out a few minutes of effort.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I do want to ask our manager how they're deciding to keep people. Everything is a big mystery.

Lots of security outside today as one of the departments is organizing a protest.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Thanks, I do want to ask our manager how they're deciding to keep people. Everything is a big mystery.

Lots of security outside today as one of the departments is organizing a protest.
The organizers of the protest will be the first to go.

Nothing like drawing attention to yourself... and showing folks you aren't going to support the new organization. Yea... that'll work.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I sincerely doubt the new organization is a democracy with one person one vote... It is best served to know when you don't have vote, not to publicize that you think you do.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The organizers of the protest will be the first to go.

Nothing like drawing attention to yourself... and showing folks you aren't going to support the new organization. Yea... that'll work.
The dep't organizing the protest is being replaced outright. They don't even have to train their own replacements.

Think the protest stayed uptown- nothing happened at this location from what I can tell. But the smoker brigade has been reporting that security was ready outside.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
The dep't organizing the protest is being replaced outright. They don't even have to train their own replacements.

Think the protest stayed uptown- nothing happened at this location from what I can tell. But the smoker brigade has been reporting that security was ready outside.
The smoker brigade would be where I would start the layoffs.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
a protest...? huh...?

what part of 'workin' for the man' is confusing to these people...?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Time to put a smile on a stick and play nice with the new folks. It won't do any good to show frustration, fear or anger....

Don't play your cards when they are still shuffling the deck. Wait to see what cards you have (if any) and then play them as best you can.
Solid advice, well said. Good luck OP!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It took me this long to finally get my bike commute dialed in. And I've been enjoying some decent books on the train. The office gym cost has actually gone *down* yet again, from $20/month to $10/month. Truly stupid-cheap. Getting a job that requires driving would be deeply depressing.

Funny how the bike is motivation to keep my job in some way/shape/form. So I will do my best to play nice. Have been remaining moderately productive despite the turmoil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.