Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noted Rebellin has won the last two stages of the Ruta del Sol? Along with Armstrong probably the most accomplished cyclist to come through the anti-doping wars still "intact". And while you might think Armstrong can rightly be called the Teflon-Texan, lets not forget Rebellin has been caught in the act and not suspended :)

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
Are there any riders of that age that have won more than a handful of races that have never been linked to some doping schemes/offenses?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dan Gerous said:
Are there any riders of that age that have won more than a handful of races that have never been linked to some doping schemes/offenses?
None that I can think of. It's an interesting thought exercise. If you draw the line in the sand as OP, Gripper in at UCI, and Torre in at CONI as the point at which it became difficult to dope (i.e. more than just the stupid ones failed tested and the increased police pressure became stifling) who got results then and still gets them? Hell, who got significant results prior to that "line in the sand" who hasn't been seriously tainted?

Armstrong may not really qualify since he retired just as the testing started getting serious (and before OP broke, right or no?) and doesn't have any results to speak of for his comeback. What's most remarkable about Rebellin is he didn't get suspended despite some serious taint :)

Edit: I think I got one; Oscar Freire.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
None that I can think of. It's an interesting thought exercise. If you draw the line in the sand as OP, Gripper in at UCI, and Torre in at CONI as the point at which it became difficult to dope (i.e. more than just the stupid ones failed tested and the increased police pressure became stifling) who got results then and still gets them? Hell, who got significant results prior to that "line in the sand" who hasn't been seriously tainted?

Armstrong may not really qualify since he retired just as the testing started getting serious (and before OP broke, right or no?) and doesn't have any results to speak of for his comeback. What's most remarkable about Rebellin is he didn't get suspended despite some serious taint :)

Edit: I think I got one; Oscar Freire.
I think your point is why no spectator can find a reason to dislike Freire. Solid, classy sprinter who hasn't been involved in some huge doping scandal.

At least, not that I know of.

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
Ever notice that from certain angles, at certain times, Rebellin looks a little like Paul Rubens? ...it's one of the reasons I've always pulled for him.

Although... I never pulled for Rubens (just wanna make that clear)

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
WeakMite said:
Ever notice that from certain angles, at certain times, Rebellin looks a little like Paul Rubens? ...it's one of the reasons I've always pulled for him.

Although... I never pulled for Rubens (just wanna make that clear)
Reubens always pulled for himself and didn't need any other help.

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
485 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Jens Voight
Stewart O'Grady

come to mind immediately

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hincapie?

·
Banned
388 Posts
Lumbergh said:
Jens Voight
Stewart O'Grady

come to mind immediately
Alot of reports coming out of Europe after the Tour of 08 had those two names, along with Fabian, Frank and Carlos as riders with suspicious blood values.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CoffeeBean2 said:
Hincapie?
Yeah if you forget about him sitting on the front of the peloton for 3 weeks straight including riding all but the best climbers in the world out the back of the bunch on the big climbs and the Vaughters/Andreau text messaging revealing their own complicity in doping which included being on the same team with Hincapie and the blood transfusions Floyd told Vaughters about while Big George was on the team too. And the HgH chin.

Funny how as soon as the testing tightened up, Hincapie was nowhere near delivering on his "promise" to be a GT leader.

But no doubt, he didn't partake of any of it. Simply super talent and hard work led him to be more competitive at the height of the doping era than he is now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts