Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Easton EA70 2014 wheelset on clearance that was a customer return because "spokes came loose." My cost for the set was a whopping $42, so I thought it was a reasonable project to take on. :) I'm going to redo all the lacing and get brand new spokes to redo it.

I noticed that the rear is a 24 spoke, 2x DS and 1x NDS. Not only that, but the NDS spokes are 1x heads out. I (and pictures verify this is the "factory" setup: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/easton-ea70-wheelset). The spokes are pretty loose right now, but it almost looks like on the 1x side don't touch at the crosses.

My question: should I redo these 1x but alternate heads in/heads out? Or should I do 2x on the NDS? Just wondering if the spokes loosening is a byproduct of the 1x NDS heads out or just a poor build at the factory.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say do the 2x or even 3x on the rear bother sides. Weight savings will be minimal between the two. The wheel will be stronger. I would guess it was a bad factory build. It happens. I had a mavic ksyrium sls front wheel do the same thing to a customer. I detensioned it and brought it back up to tension/true and their issues were gone.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Assuming the wheel has seen minimal or no use I would do 2x both sides. I would also check the spoke length on either side to confirm proper size.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I doubt the loosening was a byproduct of the 1x NDS heads out. I did my latest wheels with 2x DS, 1x NDS with heads of the 1x (and 2x too!) alternating in/out. The 1x spokes don't touch at the cross. After 30 rides they're just fine. So IMO, re-do yours any way you like.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I also doubt the loosening being a byproduct of the 1x NDS heads-out although I don't see any tangible benefit in doing so.
Theoretically, all heads-out slightly alters the NDS spoke bracing angles but it should be benign to the NDS tension if everything else was up to par.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt the loosening was a byproduct of the 1x NDS heads out. I did my latest wheels with 2x DS, 1x NDS with heads of the 1x (and 2x too!) alternating in/out. The 1x spokes don't touch at the cross. After 30 rides they're just fine. So IMO, re-do yours any way you like.
Thanks Mike. Good to know that 1x doesn't necessarily have to touch. Does that mean it's primarily an aesthetic thing then? For your 2x/1x build, was it also a 24 spoke?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming the wheel has seen minimal or no use I would do 2x both sides. I would also check the spoke length on either side to confirm proper size.
Thanks dcgriz. It does seem like it's a little used, slight notching on the freehub, but I think the rim has plenty of life and some of the scratches to the stickers must have been from it being stacked with all the store returns.

If it did have a little wear, would that make you lean toward keeping the same lacing?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Thanks Mike. Good to know that 1x doesn't necessarily have to touch.
I can't see why they have to touch. After all, spokes in a radial NDS wheel wouldn't touch, would they? And I'll bet there are lots of those around

Does that mean it's primarily an aesthetic thing then?
I guess but then I don't know what's aesthetic about two spokes touching! Maybe it's more of a tradition? But if there is no mechanical advantage, who gives a rat's arse about aesthetics when the bike get above 0.01mph?

For your 2x/1x build, was it also a 24 spoke?
Nope, it was a 24/28. I've done a few 2x/2x 28s and I had the correct spoke lengths for a 1x.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess but then I don't know what's aesthetic about two spokes touching! Maybe it's more of a tradition? But if there is no mechanical advantage, who gives a rat's arse about aesthetics when the bike get above 0.01mph?
Oh, I meant I guess the reason for doing 1x vs 2x was possibly for aesthetics. I suppose similar to why you'd do radial NDS?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I also doubt the loosening being a byproduct of the 1x NDS heads-out although I don't see any tangible benefit in doing so.
Theoretically, all heads-out slightly alters the NDS spoke bracing angles but it should be benign to the NDS tension if everything else was up to par.
Agree with everyone else: heads in/out seems to enthrall some people but it is not a determining factor in the overall wheel. A secondary impact at best and most likely tertiary.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thanks dcgriz. It does seem like it's a little used, slight notching on the freehub, but I think the rim has plenty of life and some of the scratches to the stickers must have been from it being stacked with all the store returns.

If it did have a little wear, would that make you lean toward keeping the same lacing?
Yes. That's the reason why I qualified my suggestion. When relacing hubs I like to follow the original lacing pattern if the flanges are already grooved from the original spoke line.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. That's the reason why I qualified my suggestion. When relacing hubs I like to follow the original lacing pattern if the flanges are already grooved from the original spoke line.
Got it, thanks for the tip! I will examine them more closely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts