Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I'm considering trying a DIY rebuild with parts. I have @ 36,000 miles on my shifters and performance has finally begun to suffer. There's also some rattling in my right lever. So it's time. It's really just a matter of whether I do it myself or send them somewhere.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Rebuild

Dream Plus said:
Has anyone done this? I'm considering trying a DIY rebuild with parts....
As long as you are mechanically adept and take your time the rebuild is pretty straight forward. Buy the manual from Branford as it includes a couple of crucial steps for tensioning and detensioning the springs (missing from some online manuals). An extra pair of hands helps. Cover any drains and don't do on carpet as many pieces are small.

· Registered
365 Posts
Branford is a complete ripoff

Support your local bike shop.

Branford charges $5.88 for one index spring. He only pays 2.00 bucks for it. You can find the manuals on line for free. He charges 40-50 dollars for something that should only take him 10 minutes. Plus you pay shipping! What a joke.

Your LBS can get these parts from a variety of different distributors and probably just as fast.

He has a very well done website, but he's a complete ripoff!

· Registered
163 Posts
Ergo rebuild video

If your looking to rebuild your levers, I picked up a Campy dealers CD from E-Bay. On the CD were all the parts manuals as well as a few AVI files. There is one with a campy tech rebuilding an ergo lever. Great video to watch before you start working on them.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Usually you only need to take apart the back section up to the g-spring depth (just past the thumb button part). The remainder can be left where it is.

In order to loosen 3mm bolt shift all the way down with the thumb button. The mechanism will block and allow you to unscrew it easily without having to hold front section with a 5mm allen....then just start digging everything out until you can see the rear bearing.

...report back when you're ready to put it together again :)

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I did mine, it was pretty easy. I bought the Branford Bike manual, it wasn't that magical. Zinn has an article posted on Velonews, try to search it out (for free).

Good idea to make a vise or holder from a piece of handlebar and bolt it to your bench as it allows you to work without supporting the lever body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.