Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What might be the best beam pattern or light for fast road riding under following conditions?

From the mbtr.com light shootout the L&M Arc HID looks beautiful but might annoy oncoming traffic, which I don't want to do unnecessarily. The Lume Strada HID wide appears tighter, and the Lume Strada HID narrow appears to have the best punch of all. I'm thinking a 15 watt halogen wouldn't cut it for fast road riding, though I wouldn't mind cheaping out on one if light output was sufficient. My ride conditions are mostly totally unlit (no street lights) very good Texas rural roads, with many deer.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
With deer around, you want something that will warn you by relecting off their eyes so you get a little warning to slam the brakes on before the deer jump in front of you. Get one of the HID units. I would select one with a wider light, but any would work. Don't worry about annoying motorists with the light, they don't worry about annoying cyclists with their lights.

I went past three deer herds yesterday on my ride and I was glad it was daylight and I could see them well. One deer did bolt in front of me, but I was going uphill so there was no danger. Coming back down I made sure to moderate my speed when I neared the areas where the deer were.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I picked up a NiteRider Flight HID unit and have been very pleased with it all winter so far. I did have an issue with the first battery though and had to have it replaced by niterider as it would only last for ~1hr.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i have a helmet mounted hid

it is a niterider marketed for motorcross racing--forget the model, but it works great--it won't annoy traffic unless you are looking at them--maybe on certain curved hills it is inadvertant, but so what.

anyway, i rarely use it as my current ride is on decently lit roads (street lamps) so i get by with my led light on the bars.

but if you want to go fast/really see what you ride over (again, depends on road conditions and lighting) get a hid and a helmet one is most useful for seeing what is in front of you and you can also look at intersections so the cars there know you are there.

jim

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lume Strada

I have the Lume Strada HID with the wide pattern for road commuting and it works great, this after coming off a 32 W dual beam halogen unit. The HID is much brighter. Two drawbacks for your use: 1) if it goes out from lamp failure or battery expiring, you're SOL unless you carry a backup; and 2) I'm not sure it casts enough light outside the pattern to detect deer along the road. If you can afford it I would recommend an auxiliary helmet mount light which would also serve as a backup.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'd stay away from the Lume narrow beam lights, it's too narrow period. The Lume wide beam is much better suited for both mountain and road riding. I own one of each and the narrow will be going back for a reflector conversion as soon as I get around to sending it.
One thing about the Lume stuff that may be a drawback for some is the mounting system and the fact that it's not compatible with over-sized bars. A big deal for some and not for others. You'd also want the fast charger, they're worth the up-charge.

I also own a L&M HID with the Li-Ion Ultra battery. This light is not only lightweight but has superior mounts and runs a really long time. I do a lot of night time training rides of 4+ this time of year and have never run out of light with this light.
In all the hours I've used it, I've only been flashed the high-beams once with this light and it was probably because I was running it higher than I should have. It is usually not an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for tips on road beam

Thanks for the tips, sounds like a wider beam HID makes the most sense, won't worry too much about annoying oncoming cage riders, they're probably fooling around with radio buttons too much to notice anyway.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
BB500 said:
Thanks for the tips, sounds like a wider beam HID makes the most sense, won't worry too much about annoying oncoming cage riders, they're probably fooling around with radio buttons too much to notice anyway.
Don't worry about annoying drivers. Any annoyance will come from the fact that your using a bicycle on their road. The light is just one of many things they use as an excuse to justify their feelings towards cyclists.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts