Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recollections from the first few days.

All:

Well the good news is that I remembered my camera this time.....the bad news is that the cable to download the pictures is sitting on the kitchen table in Maryland. Since I won't be back home until Saturday, I'm stuck with description only.

I arrived in SD on Wednesday and spent the rest of the day touring SD by bike & foot.....first impressions are how beautiful the city is and how wonderful the weather is. Second impression is "Damn, there are an amazing number of cyclist in this town."

Thursday, Mickey-Mac knocks on my door and we sit down to get acquainted. What a great guy! We instantly start sharing stories about our families, or "Local" riding and whatever else is prompted by the conversation...thoroughly enjoyable. RW calls (he's at a different hotel) to see if we want to do a ride so I get my Lycra on and wait for him to arrive........knock on the door, and here's this guy in sneakers, shorts, and a white cotton long sleeve dress shirt on a beautiful Della Santa bike......I'm thinking WTF?, but he's instantly disarming and we quickly head out for a ride. (Mickey Mac needed food, so he headed out for food while we rode). We start wandering and find this bike path (Which turned out to be the same path we took every day on the ride (Who knew?). and RW & I had a great 20 mile or so ride to loosen the legs. He's another great guy......it's two for two.

In the middle of the ride, the phone rings.....it's ATP (Who is home with a sick child) checking in on hi "Charges" (We couldn't have asked for a better host). Now the thing with ATP is......well let's just say he's a verbal kind of guy......so here we are on a street corner somewhere in San Diego and he says "Where are you?" I have no clue....Describe for me what you see, I do.......he immediately recognizes it and gives me directions to great riding.......I can't remember fast enough, but he's being great so a mumble "Got it"......hang up make a turn and am on the right road & end up remembering it all......How'd that happen?

Mickey-Mac, RW & I head out to dinner and end up back at RW's for some taste testing of some home brew and some great conversation......I'm thinking, if this is a taste of what this weekend is going to be....It's gonna be great.

We're meeting at 9:00 on Friday for the first group ride. It's ATP, Starliner, BigBill, RW, Mickey-Mac & I (I think I have that right, if not I apologize, it's all running together). We proceed to do 65 or so miles (as someone else said, some did 70 more about that later) with ATP our tour guide. He is a diesel! We go up the front side of Torrey Pines climb at some crazy speed, but I'm feeling pretty good........on the descent, ATP shows us the first taste of "Let's power down the hills!".....and here I thought you rested and recovered on the down hills...D'oh......Way cool. a little while later, I get some minor cramping.....start upping my gatorade consumption and think nothing more of it............boy was that a mistake. On the return ascent up torrey pines, my legs seize up. The cramps in my quads are so bad, by legs go rigidly straight, I can't bend them!...I am in agony, and can't get off the bike to try to stretch them.......I finally get down on the ground, begin to bend my legs to stretch the quads, and the hammy's seize....now I'm in agony. ATP rides back, and...god love him, won't leave me to die. I walk a little to stretch them and get back on the bike.......I'm embarrassed, and in pain and decide to just gut it out.....my legs cramp up again and remind me I'm not in charge anymore......With ATP's help, I get up the hill finally and begin to spin the legs. Unfortunately, any hard effort and I'm back into cramp city. ATP refuses to give up on me and the two of us limp (well I limp, ATP isn't even sweating) back to the hotel. I am forever grateful. 10 minutes later there is a knock on the door....it's RW, we beat them back...they had a little confusion on Atp's directions (as you have seen, there is a common thread all weekend).

By this time J & Hickey, and Snap have arrived....J's doesn't like to plane skim so he's been "anesthesizing" since he left Memphis.......we all head out to lunch at 3 or so........I have Mexican food for the 5th straight meal. We get to know one another. Dave is exactly what he's always been, another great guy. Janet is a pleasure......and J is, well he's J.....WYSIWYG. I'm still impressed with how consistent all these people are IRL with their internet personalities.......I'm not surprised much at all.

More later. Got to go.

Len

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Great post Len. Although it was not funny at all, I definitely loved your description of you pain and suffering - ATP sounds like a great guy. I haven't been to a Mexican restaurant in so long, I don't think I would mind eating Mexican five times straight at this point. No Mexican restaurant in this part of Sweden ;). As for J, he will always be J, and nothing else.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rest of the story

Continued>

So we all meet for Dinner Friday Night......In addition to those I've already mentioned, Mapai & Il Sogno, and Gregg show up. what a great time as we are all switching seats to say hello. What a great group of people.

The Saturday ride starts out chilly but gradually warms up......I make it through the climbs....we ride up to La Jolla which is gorgeous. Svend joins us (had some family stuff) and is another great guy. (J, Dave, Snap & Eddy do their own ride).....on the big descent, I see ATP go wide, I'm about 4 back and don't react fast enough....we're doing about 45 MPH & I see a Hugh hole.....I instinctively bunny hop (& pucker) fly through the air and land fine......lucky, damn lucky. We end up doing about 37 miles.....with the final few on a Bike Path where ATP pulls us alone, into the wind above 25 the whole time, way cool.

We go to a great Pizza Place for lunch at ATP's suggestion, great Chicago deep dish......wander around a little, have a great dinner followed by bar hopping. I turn in around 11 but ATP decides to teach J whose boss. ATP shows up for the Sunday ride, J's doesn't.

Another 35 on Sunday, up to Del Mar, another great ride, with great company, another trip up Torrey Pines both ways and this time I make it......Damn it feels good. We finish with a couple more Monster ATP pulls and then much food.

After the (seemingly) 25th Mexican meal, we do Italian on Sunday Night......it was awesome.

Back to work this afternoon.

I just want to thank ATP & Svend......words can't express my gratitude for how much of their time they took away from their families to entertain a bunch of strangers.

As to everyone else, it truly was my pleasure to spend time with you all. We'll have to do it again.

Len

PS...Matt, some young Tri-women from a local college just showed up dehydrated and tired....apparently she's been riding around for a day trying to find her way home...what's up with that?

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Hey Len...!

I'v e been checking in since the SD Gathering started.

When all was planned, I hoped that I could come but life was and is too tenuous to make plans. I really hope to get a these strangers who are friends I've come to know.

This made my day better! Today is my 55th birthday so as a gift to myself I've taken off early, turned off my phone and doing some "me" things. Besides Buddy, my **** Hound, my best friends are my bikes and the times I have enjoying them which includes hanging around RBR. (I'm also putting together the pieces for my new-old fixed)

What you said, how you said it and reflections of what I'm sure was one of those "best" times we have in life describes what I thought it would be all along. You have described the personalities perfectly which goes to show good people can't hide!

Thanks for sharing it!

Cheers!!!

EDB

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
hot tri chicas

yeah I should have just rode with her. funny, but it's what I tell lonely single male cyclists looking for compatible females. find the tri girls. they are plentiful in this town and are easily impressed by guys who can turn a pedal.

I was single once, how do you think I got so fast?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
EDB, miss you on the board, much respect, call me sometime. hope it's going ok.

Jeff

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Len, thanks for the private conversation. you are my Muse.

you never fail to surprise me with your depth and genuine character, and constitution.

/love

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
Len J said:
The cramps in my quads are so bad, by legs go rigidly straight, I can't bend them!...I am in agony, and can't get off the bike to try to stretch them.......I finally get down on the ground, begin to bend my legs to stretch the quads, and the hammy's seize....now I'm in agony. ATP rides back, and...god love him, won't leave me to die.
Wow, Len. You said the Friday ride was a killer, but I didn't know you meant that literally!! And still you did the big rides on Saturday and Sunday. Amazing--way to go! :)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it was a self inflicted wound........

eddy said:
Wow, Len. You said the Friday ride was a killer, but I didn't know you meant that literally!! And still you did the big rides on Saturday and Sunday. Amazing--way to go! :)
I was so wrapped up in the company and the scenery that I didn't drink enough....by the time the cramps started it was too late.

As to the next two days rides.......I knew what I did wrong...I knew it wasn't strength related....so I figured what the heck.....Plus my ego needed redemption.....I already owed ATP for saving me, I wanted to be able to look myself in the mirror....LOL

Thanks for the kind words.

Len

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
Len, thanks for the private conversation.
conversation... is that what you call it now? ;-)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy B-Day Man........

everydaybike said:
Hey Len...!

I'v e been checking in since the SD Gathering started.

When all was planned, I hoped that I could come but life was and is too tenuous to make plans. I really hope to get a these strangers who are friends I've come to know.

This made my day better! Today is my 55th birthday so as a gift to myself I've taken off early, turned off my phone and doing some "me" things. Besides Buddy, my **** Hound, my best friends are my bikes and the times I have enjoying them which includes hanging around RBR. (I'm also putting together the pieces for my new-old fixed)

What you said, how you said it and reflections of what I'm sure was one of those "best" times we have in life describes what I thought it would be all along. You have described the personalities perfectly which goes to show good people can't hide!

Thanks for sharing it!

Cheers!!!

EDB
Keep coming back.

Thanks for the kind words.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
De Nada.......

haiku d'etat said:
Len, thanks for the private conversation. you are my Muse.

you never fail to surprise me with your depth and genuine character, and constitution.

/love
it helps me to hear what I say to you.

Len

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
rwbadley said:
conversation... is that what you call it now? ;-)
you're my favorite person Badley. Len's ass might be sore, but you're still my favorite.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Len, thanks for the ride to the airport. After I got through my "extra special snaptheterrorist" screening, I managed to get on an earlier flight. I was home by 1:00.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
you did that MXL proud

after a horrid day in the saddle akin to Basso's bonk in last years Giro,Len J hauls hisself and his beautiful, but not light, Merckx up our hills with strong finishes. Len did a wee bit of muscle relaxin Friday Night, maybe he avoided the Te Killya. Ron made it on Sat fighting off the Margarita induced Crudos, BigBill needed a later start time (understood since 9AM CA time is 6 AM Hawaii even without pitchers of the green monster residing within.

I gotta say again,what a great gang to ride/drink with. was an honor and a priv. really.
anytime ya wanna come back give svend and I a holler. we'll rent a van and take ya out to east county next time for some Pine Forest Rides through the Laguna Mtns

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I gotta say again,what a great gang to ride/drink with. was an honor and a priv. really.
anytime ya wanna come back give svend and I a holler. we'll rent a van and take ya out to east county next time for some Pine Forest Rides through the Laguna Mtns
atp, svend. Be sure to thank the ladies in your lifes for us - your wifes and daughters - for letting us hijack you guys for the weekend.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
snapdragen said:
Len, thanks for the ride to the airport. After I got through my "extra special snaptheterrorist" screening, I managed to get on an earlier flight. I was home by 1:00.
LOL, don't feel like the lone ranger, i got my own screening at LAX.

they thought my look pedals were grenades or something.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Yes, but I got the extra special pat down in San Jose and in San Diego. I must say, the SD TSA folks are a whole lot friendlier. The whole time they're searching my bags and me, we chatted about the city, bike riding, vacations. San Jose TSA are all stone-faced.

haiku d'etat said:

G

·
haiku d'etat said:

My father in law, went out to his sons place to do some shelving and what not. On the way home, going through Toronto airport, he figured when the security people saw his router they were going to throw him in jail.

Everything went crazy until a senior gray hair came out, saw a router and took all of the others aside to explain to them what it was.

I think it's a funny story, grampa thought he was going to die in prison.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
will do and have done

yes, Svend and I really deserve nothing. Most thanks to our wonderfuland understanding families indeed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts