Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well, I don't train per se, but a general knock around durable tire clincher.

the wheelset is dtswiss/record hubs. Should I go with 23 or 25's? wire folding etc. I weigh 260 and ride in rolling terrian .

Some ideas and a place to buy them would be helpful as well. Thanks.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Ronin101 said:
Ok well, I don't train per se, but a general knock around durable tire clincher.
the wheelset is dtswiss/record hubs. Should I go with 23 or 25's? wire folding etc. I weigh 260 and ride in rolling terrian .
260lbs? 25mm at least. There should be no question about that. 28's would be even better if your frame & fork would take them, if not then I think you have the wrong frame for you. The pressure in a 23mm would have to be so great that the comfort level and margin for pinch flats would be very low. Makes - there are so many but look at something in the Continental range maybe. Wire non-folding - I can't think of a good reason for those except to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
25 or 28

Like Mike T says, 25 or 28 would be good. I'd take a look at the Continental 4 Season. A bit more durable than the GP4000, good traction in varied conditions including wet. I can't the the same regarding the latter when it comes to their 23 model but I have the 25 on my daily rider and find that they're durable, reasonably light and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Continental 4 Seasons are well thought of in the UK, where it's 45 degrees and rainy all year round. :)
Don't know why they're not more popular here, seems like a good compromise between the GP4000 and the Gatorskin.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
kritiman said:
The Continental 4 Seasons are well thought of in the UK, where it's 45 degrees and rainy all year round. :)
Don't know why they're not more popular here, seems like a good compromise between the GP4000 and the Gatorskin.
They're what I chose, in their 28mm size, for my dirt road bike. They look like they will be tough. 253 grams.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My UK experience

I lived in London for six years and bought a pair of the 4 Seasons when they first came out, I think it was 2002, 23 width. I found them to be terrible in the wet, damp, greasy UK riding conditions. The difference between the 23 and 25 is like night and day. I'm in Singapore now and when it's wet, it's really wet and the 25 is pretty good in the wet. Well, that's my experience.

kritiman said:

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Ronin101 said:

I'm using Bontrager Race All-Weather Hardcase.

There is specialized with Armadillo
Maxxis Refuse is also a good tire
heard good things about Michelien Krylion, continental gatorskin....

with your weight, you'll be maxing out the tire pressures (as long as the tubes support it)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I was on Krylions for a while and was pretty happy. I had a few too many flats in the spring when the sand was still on the roads so I switched to Specialized A/C Armadillo Elites. The ride isn't as nice as the Krylions, but no flats in almost two seasons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Done deal

thanks for all the advice. Had some trouble getting tires locally in stock. Gators and Armadillos were both out. I ended up getting some getting some conti races in 25. If i like those i may buy a set of gators over the winter!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ronin101 said:

Some ideas and a place to buy them would be helpful as well.
If anyone else is still looking, JensonUSA has Serfas Seca 28mm on sale for $12.99. They're wire bead but I think the casing is the same as the skinnier/lighter ones, so they should be just as fast.

I've been using Michelin Carbon/Krylion/whatever for the last 8 years and I've been really happy with them. I usually got ~3500 mi, even in hilly country with a lot of chip seal. No cuts or sidewall slashes ever. But the "street price" on the Krylions has really gone up.

Ben's still has some of the older stock Carbons for $27.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts