Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1/2 roadie 1/2 offroad
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people I just went out and bought Chis Charmichael's ultimate ride. Eventually I want to get a heart rate monitor. Would like to get a good quality one, and an inexpensive one. Want the most bang for my buck. One that will last and has the necessary features but not a bunch of junk I won't use.

Just using it to train for centuries and maybe for a mountian bike race. Don't ever plan on getting hard into racing, so I aint going to be the next lance Armstrong if you catch my drift.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
mtbcyclist said:
Hey people I just went out and bought Chis Charmichael's ultimate ride. Eventually I want to get a heart rate monitor. Would like to get a good quality one, and an inexpensive one. Want the most bang for my buck. One that will last and has the necessary features but not a bunch of junk I won't use.

Just using it to train for centuries and maybe for a mountian bike race. Don't ever plan on getting hard into racing, so I aint going to be the next lance Armstrong if you catch my drift.

Any suggestions would be great!
What features will you be using? I had a monitor with lots of functions, but I never used most of them. I now use a low end Polar F1 from Excel Sports (under $50) that has the two features that I use: current heart rate and average heart rate. Even though it has an analog transmitter, it does not have any problems with my two different wireless bike computers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Inexpensive HR Monitor

For around $60, the Sports Instruments EC5 is a great buy. It does not have all the bells and whistles that some of the polar models do, but it does everything that CTS needs. I own the EC4 and have had great sucess. It scored great reviews in the product review section of this site as well. Where to buy? Try: www.ediscountbike.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Polar, Polar, Polar. Seriously. Don't consider any other brand, they don't last and are not as accurate. You'll pay more money to get more functions, but if all you want is to see your heart rate, then $50-$60 will get you what you need by Polar. Did I mention that you should get a Polar? :D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
mgp said:
Polar, Polar, Polar. Seriously. Don't consider any other brand, they don't last and are not as accurate. You'll pay more money to get more functions, but if all you want is to see your heart rate, then $50-$60 will get you what you need by Polar. Did I mention that you should get a Polar? :D
agree..Polar has never dissapointed me. I recently fried my Polar Coach snorkeling in MX last week, but it was kinda my fault as I had a jeweler replace the battery rather than Polar. Water got in and it wasn't pretty so I'm shopping for a new monitor.

·
The Riddler
194 Posts
If all you want is heart rate and zones go with the S120

For about 100bucks you get current, avg, three zones, recovery timer, countdown timer, and other stuff. I got it because i didnt need anything else as i already have a great computer, astrale 8, and the S150 and up are all more cycling oriented, and have more features that arent as necessary. I think if i ever thought about getting a more advanced hrm, id wait to save up for a powertap.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
don't buy a polar

unless you like <a href="http://polarusa.com/service_repair/show_faq_hea.asp?ID=2">sending it in to polar</a> when the battery dies. I picked up a cheap Sigma at the QBP open house a few years ago and its done everything Ive needed without problems. sports instruments look good too. I used to sell all 3 (polar/sigma/si) at the shop I worked at, had $ not been a factor when I bought mine I would have gone with the SI.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Sending it in for battery replacement

Bocephus Jones said:
agree..Polar has never dissapointed me. I recently fried my Polar Coach snorkeling in MX last week, but it was kinda my fault as I had a jeweler replace the battery rather than Polar. Water got in and it wasn't pretty so I'm shopping for a new monitor.
That's always been the deal killer for me with Polar, having to send it in for battery replacement, the cost of the service, the cost of shipping it, the time to wait for its return. I figured I was better off just getting a basic sub-$50 unit and not worrying about it. I have had waterproof and water-resistant watches that I could change the batteries in myself without an issue.

Sorry, no Polar for me, unless they come down to less than $50 for one.

Here's a $35 unit:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=94&subcategory=1054&brand=&sku=9620&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

And here's a sub-$50 unit:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=94&subcategory=1054&brand=&sku=11103&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Least expensive Polar unit currently on Nashbar is $55 and up quickly from there. When you factor in the shipping/replacement costs it doesn't add up for me. YMMV

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't know if you're still looking, but I just got an email from Supergo (I think) for an HRM for like $45 with a ton of features (zones, avg, max, min, alarms, etc.). It has more features than my current one (Sports Instruments, also very cost effective) and I was thinking of picking it up.

·
1/2 roadie 1/2 offroad
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JPRider14 said:
I don't know if you're still looking, but I just got an email from Supergo (I think) for an HRM for like $45 with a ton of features (zones, avg, max, min, alarms, etc.). It has more features than my current one (Sports Instruments, also very cost effective) and I was thinking of picking it up.
I like the Sports Instruments one. I also found a nice one by Reebok that I am going to check out at Dicks Sporting Goods that was also online at I think Nashbar??

Polar is a no go for me. As a do it yourselfer why in the hell would I ever send my HR in just for a battery change. Just plain stupid design.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
mtbcyclist said:
I like the Sports Instruments one. I also found a nice one by Reebok that I am going to check out at Dicks Sporting Goods that was also online at I think Nashbar??

Polar is a no go for me. As a do it yourselfer why in the hell would I ever send my HR in just for a battery change. Just plain stupid design.
Stupid design unless you plan to swim with it. Then the sealed battery becomes an asset. The strap on transmitter lasts me 3 or more years usually so that isn't an issue. If you decide that you aren't gonna swim with it then you can have any local jeweler replace a polar watch battery--just don't count on it to be waterproof after that (I learned the hard way).

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
folsom_rider said:
For around $60, the Sports Instruments EC5 is a great buy. It does not have all the bells and whistles that some of the polar models do, but it does everything that CTS needs. I own the EC4 and have had great sucess. It scored great reviews in the product review section of this site as well. Where to buy? Try: www.ediscountbike.com

Good luck.

I have an older Circuit 7. Still functions fine. That was like $50 three years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.