Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARRGGGHH - after reading a lot of advice about how I should just forget racing my first year on the bike and instead focus on getting miles under me, I'm cracking from the pressure of reading all these amazing race recaps, especially from riders making their race debuts. I figure there's always going to be a 'first time', and I'd like to get my feet wet, just so a) I have a better idea of what racing is all about, and b) exactly where I stand - or perhaps more accurately, how far back I stand - in terms of being competitive. I've been doing some group rides at increasing speeds, but as someone noted, all the practice in the world never really prepares you for a real race.

So, anyway, I want to get my feet wet. I don't want to race against a bunch of sandbagging cat fives. I also want a course that's relatively safe, since (I assume) that other riders will also be newbies like me.

Can anyone recommend a good 'newbie' race in the NY/NJ/PA area? Preferably sometime in late May or June, anywhere in the Atlantic area would be fine. I've been looking at some races on racelistings.com; this one seemed interesting because it has a 'beginners' group separate from the cat fives - the beginners race is really really short - only 16 miles. If the race is going to be that short I'd love to be able to do a second race the next day in the same area.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

-S

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Why not jump right in? If you feel prepared to race and have spent some time in group rides just go for it. There's a bunch of weekly races going on in the area right now. For example this Sunday there's a race in Prospect Park in Brooklyn and I believe that there's also a circuit race in Binghamton a race in Fiskdale MA, and a road race in Ephrata PA.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.