Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have a favorite? I'm building up my first new road ride in 10 years and needless to say, there's some cool new stuff out there. I'm 6-02, 225lbs and a fast recreational rider. Stem is 1-1/8, but I'm open to standard or OS clamp diameter.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Nearly anything out there will be plenty strong enough, if that's what you're worried about. I'm also a Clyde. I like to get stuff that looks good, and is also pretty light & functional, with emphasis on the functional. I try not to over think these things. A stem is just a metal or cf stick that holds the handlebars. I really doesn't do anything else. Bars are different. IMO CF bars are a waste of money. Most of them cost a fortune, and are no lighter or stronger that aluminum bars. I have large hands & long arms, (37" sleeve length), and I really like Modolo 8 bend 44cm bars. They have plenty of hand room & the extra bend also gives me lots of room to stand & sprint while my hands are in the drops without my forearms touching the bars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the tip on the Modolos. Have any of you tried to find a 46cm c-2-c bar? I'm discovering that they are few and far between. Aluminum is just fine with me, and I'll probably go with a Thomson stem just because I've had great luck with them on the mtb.

·
Registered
514 Posts
pondering the same question . . .

I've just about given up on getting a carbon bar ($$). If I did go that route, would probably get the Kestrel KMS Pro on Ebay ($130 shipped), since it seems solid, relatively cheap, highly reviewed, and can take clip on aero bars (for triathalons).

I'll probably go aluminum instead. Nashbar has an oversized Nashbar-brand bar (44 cm) for $25 or so.

As for stem, I'm a bit more confused. I'm read good things about the Deda Newton, which Competitive Cyclist has on sale for $90 (still pricey). http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z..._STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=369&CATEGORY.ID=38&MODE= Mixed reviews, but the negative votes all have to do with spripped threads--not about flex, lack of stiffness, etc. I kinda wonder, though, if the fact that this is listed as a 31.7mm clamp size (vs. 31.8mm) may affect the amount of thread that the bolts enage in the socket when used with a 31.8mm bar.

I like competitive cyclists selection of stems, and their descriptions. They have two Thompson road stems, too.

Nashbar has the Ritchey WCS oversized stem on sale, but lot of reviews say this is too flexy for Clydes. The Ritchey Pro is cheaper, a bit heavier, and supposedly stronger:

I'm still firmly on the fence. I'm not even sure what angle stem to choose (86, 84, 83, 80, or even less degrees?). Sheesh.

Maybe I'll give the Nashbar carbon a try. Its heavy (150gms), but on the cheap side, and may soak up some more of those bumps for use with my cheap aluminum bars. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=14123&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Good luck, and let us know your results.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Thomson stems

415m3 said:
Anyone out there have a favorite? I'm building up my first new road ride in 10 years and needless to say, there's some cool new stuff out there. I'm 6-02, 225lbs and a fast recreational rider. Stem is 1-1/8, but I'm open to standard or OS clamp diameter.
You might want to consider the Thomson X4 stem (31.8 clamp). It is technically their MTB stem but it will work fine on the road as well. The rise is 90 degrees which is nice for big guys because it reduces the number of spacers required to get suitable bar height. The X4 is basically a 4-bolt version of their X2 road stem. I use the X2 on two bikes and just like Thomson seatposts, they are exceptional products. In fact, if you are looking for a seatpost I would suggest the Thomson setback. Bombproof.

In terms of bars, I think anything that is not stupid light will work fine. I don't see the point of carbon bars, they are ridiculously expensive and somewhat fragile/sensitive to torque and setup. The Deda Magic handlebar in 46 width would be a good choice, it is pretty beefy. Or the 3T 4G XL bar is also a good choice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I vote for the Ritchey Pro

I have Ritchey bars and stems on both my bikes. One is standard, and the other is OS. I have used both the WCS and Pro OS stems. I can't tell a flex difference between them, but I prefer the Pro as it does not use Titanium bolts. The four bolt construction on both is excellent and very solid.

I like the Ritchey Pro OS bars mainly for the bends and the flatter top. With Campy shifters they work great and are plenty stiff for a clydesdale like me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts