Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to build up 44mm ZIPP clincher carbon rims to a hubset for riding ... i do alot of different terrains from climbing to long flats.... i like the aero and weight of 44mm carbon clincher rims so id need a great hubset to go with them

anyways.. need some recommendations for hub sets and spokes to go with.. im pretty much going for that kinda all around hubset... weight, durability, cost.. i would love to do dura ace 7800 rear since they make 24h but unfortunately they dont make a 20h front...

ive heard good things about american classic hubs? maybe a micro 58 front and a dura ace rear? not sure...

all comments are welcome.. thanks again...
edit : more stats... bike cervelo soloist ... i weigh about 145-150... club rides.. amateur racing... blah blah blah

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
White Industries makes nice hubs in those drillings. Nothing wrong with a White Industries front and a DA rear, if you aren't hung up over them not matching. I have wheels with American Classic and White Industries hubs and would choose the WI over American Classic every time. I'd use Sapin CXray spokes in whatever hub you choose.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes im very well aware that white industries are very strong hubs... only thing i was worried about was the weight.. but they arnt that bad at all..

and to my surprise i think i found some dura ace 20h front hubs... but well see ..
any other recommendations?

and im pretty sold on sapim cx rays... sound like good spokes im willing to go with...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
android said:
Sure they do, here's one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/07-Shimano-Dura...2679529QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

And I would highly recommend the 7850 rear rather than the 7800/7801.
yes i just read up extensively on the 7850s... very interesting ... big different in price compared to 7800s.. and weight is heavier than the H2 WI...

also does anyone have any experience with the american classic micro 58 front hub??? seems like a very interesting hub... not sure how it would last... would like to hear anyone elses experience...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
if you have no need for campy compatibility, i'd go the DA hubs... loose ball, smooth rolling, high quality, not too heavy.. since u are going with the alu/carbon clincher zipps why be obsessed with weight?

if not that, or you want easily compatibilty b/w both campag and shim, DT 240s... WI also makes a damn convincing case... bigger bearings, american made (just like the zipps!), and can be had for reasonable money !

honestly, i'd avoid the ACs, small bearings, not that much lighter, i mean comon, u WILL NOT NOTICE a 25 g diff b/w ac fronts and WI, and the ACs are a bit mickey mouse really... AND too expensive for something from taiwan IMO...

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
"honestly, i'd avoid the ACs, small bearings, not that much lighter, i mean comon, u WILL NOT NOTICE a 25 g diff b/w ac fronts and WI, and the ACs are a bit mickey mouse really... AND too expensive for something from taiwan IMO..."

That has been my experience with AC front hubs too..... the bearings are too small for the load they have to carry. Every set I have had over the years has required that the front bearings be replaced fairly often. Never had that experience with White Industries, Chris King or some of the other wheelsets I have. A few grams in the front doesn't mean that much compared to reliability.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cdhbrad said:
"honestly, i'd avoid the ACs, small bearings, not that much lighter, i mean comon, u WILL NOT NOTICE a 25 g diff b/w ac fronts and WI, and the ACs are a bit mickey mouse really... AND too expensive for something from taiwan IMO..."

That has been my experience with AC front hubs too..... the bearings are too small for the load they have to carry. Every set I have had over the years has required that the front bearings be replaced fairly often. Never had that experience with White Industries, Chris King or some of the other wheelsets I have. A few grams in the front doesn't mean that much compared to reliability.
yea not really worried about campy readiness... i knew micros were not the sturdiest, but i just wanted to know why. dt 190s are too pricey...and im not too worried about the lightest ... its between DA-7850S/7800S AND WHITE INDUSTRIES H2s... and sapim cx rays...

thanks board!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.