Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to use my reflex wheels as race wheels (used for cross last 2 yrs). I know good cross tires and clincher road tires but I'm not too familiar with road tubies. Recommendations? Oh. I don't need to remortgage the house to buy them, either:p .
22 or 23 width would be good.
kthx

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx......

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
The Sprinters are a good option but If you want something that rolls well, is pretty durable and doesn't cost a lot, go with the Vittoria Triathlon tires. Seriously. They roll better than Conti's but without a higher cost and fragility. Slightly more supple casing and a little less rolling resistance.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
In the last few years, sprinters have gotten pretty hefty. (of course, so have CX's and Comps)....Sometimes, they turn out pretty lumpy also.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, I've never been a fan of Conti tires in the past. Can't say I've had much experience w/ Vittorias.

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
The Conti Competitions are a nice tire for all-around racing and training. They offer it in a 25 also, which is nice.

The Vittoria Corsa Evo line (with your choice of tread pattern) is probably the other usual go-to. "Upgraded" this year with a better casing, at least in the "CX" herringbone.

·
24,427 Posts
If you want a "medium priced" tire (Ha!) look at veloflex tires. They are made like Vittoria's used to be made. They weigh in the 240/250 gram range like the CX used to be. When deflated, they feel very flaccid, like the CX's used to be before Vittoria made them stiffer and heavier, and less puncture prone. (not they they were ever really puncture prone in the first place, but Americans want to be able to ride over all sorts of crap and not get a flat.)
Conti Comps are a very good tire, but they're even more "spendy".

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
Kram said:
To be honest, I've never been a fan of Conti tires in the past. Can't say I've had much experience w/ Vittorias.

Well, here is what you don't go with: Tufo. They are light and round but roll so badly it feels like you are riding on carpet. Don't do it. Trust me.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea. I know this. I bought some Tufo tubie clinchers a few yrs ago. They rode like bricks.

·
24,427 Posts
Tufo's are OK if you bomb them up for track usage, or for ITT's.
Not very good for general road usage. (at normal pressures), and not very good for training on normal roads (at 150 psi).

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike=Black/red/white/silver.
Green a non-starter.
Gotta look good, you know:p

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While looking around for prices, I came upon this site. Great prices, nice selection, and often free shipping. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way....http://www.treefortbikes.com/

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
The Vittoria EVO CX's are the safe default tire.

Coming for the cross side of things, check out some of the Challenge Tubulars- I got a good deal on a set of Criterium tubulars (as a bonus- they were white!).

:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I second the Vittoria EVO CX's or maybe its the 3rd or 4th. didnt really pay attention. anyway, good all around tire. wares pretty good for a tubular and has faired better against punctures than others I have had. Also rolls well and has pretty decent psi rating.

Agree on the Tufo comments and would add they are junk... I bought because was cheap and light and should have know what that would lead to. Wore like crap and punctured if you looked at wrong. went through the 4 tires I bought before mid season and I ride on decent roads.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
The issue with the Vittoria EVO CX's and the Conti Comps is that price is a factor. Those are the top of the line road tubulars from their respective makers, and not inexpensive.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am likely to go with these;
Vittoria
OC EVO CX 700x 23c White Sidewall Open Corsa

<!--

//--> Original: $74 save 34% Online Price: $48.95

<!--// Commented Out Until Next Christmas

End Christmas Comment//--> <input name="amt_333222339983" id="amt_333222339983" value="qty. 1" size="3" maxlength="6" onfocus="clearThisField(this)" onblur="defaultThisField(this)" type="text" width="3">

Corsa CX has proved successful in road races all over the world, but the new EVO version is bound to even greater success.
With a "handmade" tubular structure for superior performance and comfort, it has also got a special latex inner tube that increases its elasticity and puncture resistance. Further features are the Kevlar� SiO2 3D Compound with added silica - for reduced rolling resistance and better grip in the wet Our new high density casing - a true 320 tpi - delivers unbeatable comfort and superior performance with inflation pressure of up to 200psi!
New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight. The new Corsa Evo CX is tougher and faster than ever before.

And for Coolio, they're white:thumbsup: I do only a few crits in the summer in prep for cross, although I plan to do a few more this yr, so I don't want to break the bank on tires and I need a pr that if my training wheels are effed up I can ride them without concern for their durability...

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
Kram said:
I am likely to go with these;
Vittoria
OC EVO CX 700x 23c White Sidewall Open Corsa

<!--

//--> Original: $74 save 34% Online Price: $48.95

<!--// Commented Out Until Next Christmas

End Christmas Comment//--> <input name="amt_333222339983" id="amt_333222339983" value="qty. 1" size="3" maxlength="6" onfocus="clearThisField(this)" onblur="defaultThisField(this)" type="text" width="3">

Corsa CX has proved successful in road races all over the world, but the new EVO version is bound to even greater success.
With a "handmade" tubular structure for superior performance and comfort, it has also got a special latex inner tube that increases its elasticity and puncture resistance. Further features are the Kevlar� SiO2 3D Compound with added silica - for reduced rolling resistance and better grip in the wet Our new high density casing - a true 320 tpi - delivers unbeatable comfort and superior performance with inflation pressure of up to 200psi!
New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight. The new Corsa Evo CX is tougher and faster than ever before.

And for Coolio, they're white:thumbsup: I do only a few crits in the summer in prep for cross, although I plan to do a few more this yr, so I don't want to break the bank on tires and I need a pr that if my training wheels are effed up I can ride them without concern for their durability...
Um, clinchers? The text describes a tubular tire but generally with Vittoria, if it says "open" it's a clincher. If they are the EVO CX tubulars, then that is a deal. Buy 4.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.