Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to replace my old Shimano SPD pedals....I have a year old pair of Shimano carbon shoes so any new pedals will have to have the 3 or 4 hole design. Here are some requirements:

They must be low maintenance and durable...
They must be relatively light...but they don't have to be the lightest...
I'd prefer to be able to walk easily with the cleats on...

I was looking at Speedplay but I despise the idea of having to grease the pedals and use covers everytime I go to take a step.

So right now I'm leaning towards Ultegra/Dura-Ace SPD-SL....

·
Registered
15 Posts
namrufmot said:
Its time to replace my old Shimano SPD pedals....I have a year old pair of Shimano carbon shoes so any new pedals will have to have the 3 or 4 hole design. Here are some requirements:

I was looking at Speedplay but I despise the idea of having to grease the pedals and use covers everytime I go to take a step.

So right now I'm leaning towards Ultegra/Dura-Ace SPD-SL....
The grease port on the speedplays just makes maintenance easier. Shimanos have to be taken apart to be greased. As for the cleat covers you don't need them but it is easier to walk on a slippery floor with them. All of my bikes have Shimano spd's Except for my road bike. It has speedplay zero's. I tried the spd-sl's but being primarily a mountain biker I prefer a double sided pedal. Mike

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Many choices

namrufmot said:
You won't find a performance road pedal that allows you to walk like you had the old SPDs. You make compromises. One pedal that fits your first two points very well is the Campy Profit series. I have 65K miles on mine and though I have taken them apart, they have never required any new grease or maintenance. For walking, Campy cleats are just like Look. My wife uses Speedplays, and with a little "stair tread gripper" stuff on the cleat surfaces, she has no trouble making it into the convenience store and back to the bike. No road shoe/pedal is going to allow you to tour the museum or walk home from a breakdown in comfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look Keo's rock my world, not cleat is going to be easy to walk in however the Keo cleats are slightly smaller than the standard Look cleat. The pedals are easy to engage/disengage, and are very light. The pedals have survived some pretty hard crashes too, hardly scratched.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i just ordered a pair of keo sprints - $78 from probikekit - free shipping - 270g, best deal on them I could find. I used them for two rides thusfar and so far so good, a good improvement over the spd style cleats i was using.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
112 Posts
I second the Time pedals. I won't ever buy anything else. Time ATAC is two sided. Need the two hole shoes (like SPD). I put them on my commuter and my C-dale. It'd much easier to walk at the rest stops on a century in 'mountain' shoes with recessed cleats.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You won't find a performance road pedal that allows you to walk like you had the old SPDs. You make compromises. One pedal that fits your first two points very well is the Campy Profit series. I have 65K miles on mine and though I have taken them apart, they have never required any new grease or maintenance. For walking, Campy cleats are just like Look. My wife uses Speedplays, and with a little "stair tread gripper" stuff on the cleat surfaces, she has no trouble making it into the convenience store and back to the bike. No road shoe/pedal is going to allow you to tour the museum or walk home from a breakdown in comfort.
I don't think so. Been using Ritchey road pedals, which use the same cleat as on MTB pedals, for the last 5 years. They are lighter than any Look pedals. You want to walk? There are various brands that make MTB shoes that are identical to their road shoe, with the exception of some tread on the sole. I've been using Specialized Pro MTB shoes, where the extra tread adds hardly any weight to the shoe, and I got these for less than $100. I like these shoes so much that I use them for road, cyclocross, and MTB racing. With the tread I get a recessed cleat and can walk just fine, even touring the museum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Eggs...

Love my CrankBrothers Eggbeaters. Very light, simple, inexpensive and strong. I've bent pedal axles on just about every pedal I've ever owned. Going on 2 years with the stainless version of the eggs with no issues. One bolt to remove for maint.

MC

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
How do you know you have 65k miles on the pedals?

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I love Time, both road and mountain. I've got Impacts on all my road bikes and ATACs and Control Z's on my mountain bikes (five bikes in all). They meet all the OP's requirements. No road shoe/cleat combo will be as easy to walk on as a MTB shoe/cleat combo but the Time road cleat pontoons make walking pretty safe, and they're replaceable without replacing the cleat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.