Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recommend me some bib shorts

So, being that the various LBSs in my area carry approximately three brands of cycling apparel, recommend me some bib shorts based on the following criteria.

1. Castelli Free bib shorts in small=Fantastic, but kinda pricey
2. Craft Elite Ergo bib shorts (small)=Front of chamois is too wide and uncomfortable, I do like the fabrics.
3. PI(shorts) or Bergamo(bibs) shorts in medium=Too big (from when I started cycling).
4. I am 5-8, 135ish, and built pretty normally for that height/weight.

Is there anything besides the Castelli that people recommend? Please no Assos S5 $300+ shorts, thnx.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
Sugoi RS

Best chamois going. Great durability. Good customer support, not that you will ever need it

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
threesportsinone said:
Borah. That's pretty much all I wear anymore, I have a couple pairs of the "pro bibs" and some of the shorts, they work for me. And they're local, for me.

The Hincapie $230 bibs are the same as the Assos $400 bibs, I think.
Are these suggestions made on fit or "just" quality?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mr. Jones said:
Are these suggestions made on fit or "just" quality?
About Borah? they work for me, they fit well, no quality issues so far (I have a couple pairs that are >1year old), they're a good local brand, and inexpensive. I'm not saying they are the greatest, most amazing shorts/bibs you can get, I'm saying that they do their job well and I'll continue to use what works.

About Hincapie? I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same short, fit and quality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been using Santini bibs for a while now and recently updated to the new Resistex bibs with the gel intech chamois, they are the most comfortable bibs I have ever worn and fit and feel superb. Considering how long you will spend wearing them I don't think they are overly expensive however others may disagree.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Boure +1, designed by a cycling superhero, custom service second to none, and btw, the best bibs in the world. Check out the web site. I think my last pair were $95.00, great quality and very comfortable chamois. They are the pair I pick on long rides.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Voler. They are like Brooks saddles in that they are almost always highly recommended by those who use them and they are very high quality construction. I got my first Voler shorts about 3 weeks ago and I agree with the great reviews. Right now they have their Marquee shorts on sale for $39.95 and if you subscribe to their V-Club (free) emails you can get them for $35.00. The Marquee short is used for most of the shorts offered for the various organizations you can buy like the RBR shorts.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I'm really pleased with my Gore Bikewear shorts. Comfy as hell for me (at least) and they're not horrifically expensive.

·
Registered
638 Posts
get bibs, the lack of a wasteband is well worth it. I have a pair from descente and theyre great. the specialized BG stuff is awesome too. Also pearl izumi is great but you have to spend enough.... their cheap stuff isnt that good at all. Id say $130-180 for good bibs is about right. theres no point in ruining the enjoyment of a couple thousand dollar bike by cheaping out the extra $80 for shorts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
B15serv said:
get bibs, the lack of a wasteband is well worth it. I have a pair from descente and theyre great. the specialized BG stuff is awesome too. Also pearl izumi is great but you have to spend enough.... their cheap stuff isnt that good at all. Id say $130-180 for good bibs is about right. theres no point in ruining the enjoyment of a couple thousand dollar bike by cheaping out the extra $80 for shorts
I should have made my title line up with the text in my original post. In the text, I did specify that I was looking for bibs. I've had experience with various shorts and bibs (outlined in my op) and I was looking for people who could offer me advice based upon the parameters I outlined.

·
What it is
705 Posts
Performance

Mr. Jones said:
So, being that the various LBSs in my area carry approximately three brands of cycling apparel, recommend me some bib shorts based on the following criteria.

4. I am 5-8, 135ish, and built pretty normally for that height/weight.
The performance ultra bibs are a good deal. I am 5-8 (and a fraction--don't forget the fraction). The top is not loose in a medium, the pad is not very bulky, and they would be on the tight side if you were heavy. I haven't been riding them long enough to comment on durability.

I had a pair of Elites and they have lasted forever, except for the logo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.