Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have time atac pedals, and my Time Mtn bike shoes broke (strap broke on one)

I need a new pair.

I wanna spend no more than 130-140 bucks

I looked at performancebike.com and saw Adidas Adistar Xc race mtnbike shoe and there is also Sidi Bullet II slightly more expensive.

I have normal width feet.

any idea which one is in any way better? or recommend a totally different shoe.

I like the look of both.

Thanx

woof the dog

·
Registered
165 Posts
love my specialized body geometry comp

don't have any experience with the specific shoes you mentioned but i really love my specialized body geometry comp shoes. i found them on sale at the LBS for $100 (MSRP $130). at least for me they fit really well and have a very practical shape. the quality seems top-notch. i've only had them for a few months but do ride them 5-6 days a week (including commuting).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I use the new sidi dominator, the new soles and the new time pedals seemed to require a little work with the exacto knife, and I finally ended up going with the egg beaters. I still have to say the Sidi is really the best shoe I have owned, the buckle system works nicely and the quality of construction will give you a number of seasons of good service, I'm on my second pair. Couple notes:

I would stay away from shoes that use velcro as the main strap, it seems to fail over time in the mud

The long Sidi all metal toe spikes are really the only way to go. The plastic soccer spikes that come with most shoes are worse than useless, as they shear off flush with the sole and you have to take your chances drilling them out. Get the Sidi spikes no matter what shoes you buy. Never buy shoes that don't accept toe spikes. Always buy shoes with a nice lugged sole, not a smooth one.

I have found Lake shoes to be of poor quality, ditto "house brand" performance shoes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
euro-trash said:
Try a pair of Shimano shoes, he toe box is roomy. The carbon sole version is a little more than you want to spend, but there is this one:
Agree, Shimano MTB shoes hold up well in the mud, ya need spikes in mud for sure as the sole is not very agressive.

Specialized are good for the $$, sole is a little soft for my liking, but for $100 great for training and commuting. Sidis are good - but hard to find in my area (for good sizes) and spares are tough to get.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
jroden said:
The long Sidi all metal toe spikes are really the only way to go. The plastic soccer spikes that come with most shoes are worse than useless, as they shear off flush with the sole and you have to take your chances drilling them out. Get the Sidi spikes no matter what shoes you buy.
I race in the PacNW so I'm pretty familiar with sloppy conditions ... I've got two sets of the Sidi toe spikes. I cut one set down to about 60% of total length with a dremmel. I use that set for almost all races. I only bust out the long teeth for the truely sloppy affairs.

Alternately, you can custom make toe spikes to whatever length you want with some threaded rod and a few bolts.

·
a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest worry about the sidis I mentioned is they are only 150 bucks or so while all other sidis are over 200. Would I be getting an inferior product from this company just based on the price? I have specialized shoes as well as poggios that I never really rode so who knows, maybe i should look for specialized, though the ones i saw didn't look like somethign i liked.

I am looking for a good race shoe that I will also train with as well, and in road shoes I stopped bothering with cheap stuff. I prefer high quality stuff because cheap stuff with like two straps etc just doesn't cut it in the long run. I know many will agree.

Thanx for all the replies so far by the way

Woof

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
find something you can run in

stiff shoes suck if your cx races have extended run sections. I ran Specialized Body Geometry Pros until they died, now using Northwaves. I buy whatever is comfortable, good for running but feels good on the pedal as well and cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sidis are worth every penny. The darn shoes are near bomb proof. Get the Megas if you have wide feet and make sure they are one of the higher end models made in Italy. The lower price version made outside Italy don't have the quality and fit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Love my Sidi Dominators. They fit me well. Have Sidi Energy & Genius shoes for the road. Their last fits me great. The Dominators are great to run in. With toe spikes they're perfect for most cross races. Their parts that wear out can be replaced with stock at most bike shops. I keep a search for "sidi 48" at ebay and pick up replacements as needed below $125.

Morgan, bigfoot

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I like SIDI's as well

but the old MTB soles were too slippery for dismounting on wet asphalt, concrete or rock.
I hear they changed the sole but doing a high speed dismount onto a wet concrete / asphalt slab at the base of a stair run up I might as well have been wearing ice skates

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have Sidi dominators, Shimano M180's and now the new Adidas XC race. Here's my thoughts based on my personal experience. The shimanos fit well and are very 'constructed'-sort of like a trail running shoe. The rubber blocks on each side of the cleat space are high enough to contact the pedal which adds stability, but may make engagement a require a bit more force (I'm using Time ATAC) The only downside: Heavy @ 480 gm/shoe. Sidi dominator (I have the 3's) fit like a glove and are nearly 80 grams lighter than the shimanos (that's 1/3 #) and the weight difference is noticable to me under certain conditions. The sole flexes A LOT more, and is slipperier (is that a word?) on the hard surfaces and when riding unclipped on the pedal. The Adidas Adistar XC race is a nice shoe with good features. The sole is STIFF, but seems ok for running if the section is not too long-my heel slips up a bit during the run, but YMMV. This fit is not as nice to my foot as the Sidi (#1) or the Shimano, but it weighs in like the Sidi and the sole is grippy. Both the Sidi and the Adidas have rubber blocks that are shallow and the shoes rock on the pedals a bit, more so with the Adidas. The all lorica Sidi is slightly warmer, but takes a lot longer to dry than the more plastic like shimano and adidas.

FWIW, ther are more Sidis in the CX races than any other shoe. I'm not sure about Mt. biking though. they're also the most $, and the Adidas are way cheap at Performance right now. The fit should be the paramount factor though.

I hope that is helpful. Cliff

·
Registered
187 Posts
tho' at first they do seem a bit expensive ($240 including shipping but maybe not duties from totalcycling.com), i love my sidi dragons with the SRS. just put new lugs on them thanks to our friends at bikesomewhere.com and they are ready for another year of use/abuse. have never had the problem with slipping on wet surfaces that some people have reported. cleat engagement is not a problen with ATAC pedals. have ripped the threading out from 3 of the 4 spike receptacles (probably from wearing the shoes for racing, training and commuting) but when CX season MMVI rolls around my plan is just to krazy glue some new spikes into place. supposedly sidi actions that have the SRS should be a little less expensive, but they don't seem to be as readily availible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
though i love my sidi road shoes, i have noticed that the non-SRS sidi soles are very, very stiff looking - more on the plastic side than the rubber side if you know what i mean. the SRS soles seem like they'd be way more grippy.

even so, after trying on some specialized mtb shoes, i realized i much prefer a boxy toe over the sidi style pointy toe. only had the specialized for a few months but they get worn for commuting five days a week, a couple of road rides during the week, and usually a trail ride or race on the weekends. so far so good. we'll see how they hold up in the long run. and for half the price of the dragons, you can't complain. they're not as comfortable out of the box but after a few rides, they seem to have broken in nicely and (partly due to the toe box i prefer) they're actually more comfortable than my sidi road shoes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts