Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good 27" tire for commuting? Seems everywhere I look, the tires for sale are 700c's. I am posting this question in this forum because it's for my commuter bike (plus I know MB1 reads this forum). I was inflating my rear tire last night getting ready to start riding to work next week and the sidewall separated from the wire bead with a loud BANG! scaring the heck out of me. My ears were ringing for a while after that.
Anyway, you know the needs for commuting. Not concerned about weight, just reliability.

Looking for 27 x 1 1/4

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm using some Bontrager tire that my LBS just happened to have. Haven't been using them long but they're alright with me.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Conti has a couple of models that are usually pretty easy to find. I really liked the top touring model, but it rolls a little slow. Great in the rain, though. They have a similarly priced slick, but I can't remember the name. It wasn't all that durable, though, and there was little flat protection.

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Although I cannot offer a review of specific products, Nashbar has quite an impressive selection of 27" tires. Of course, caveat emptor considering the present business model.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was kinda looking for the specific product so I could callaround to the LBS's. I didn't want to wait for mail order (I wanted to start commuting Monday) and although I haven't had any bad luck with Nashbar or Performance, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to test my luck again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
MisJG said:
Can anyone recommend a good 27" tire for commuting? Seems everywhere I look, the tires for sale are 700c's. I am posting this question in this forum because it's for my commuter bike (plus I know MB1 reads this forum). I was inflating my rear tire last night getting ready to start riding to work next week and the sidewall separated from the wire bead with a loud BANG! scaring the heck out of me. My ears were ringing for a while after that.
Anyway, you know the needs for commuting. Not concerned about weight, just reliability.

Looking for 27 x 1 1/4

Thanks in advance!
I have an old Schwinn with 27" wheels that I use for commuting, and I've been using SPECIALIZED ARMADILLOS 27" x 1 1/4" tires. They're plenty beefy, and I've been using them for a little over a year and a half for daily commuting (15 miles/week approx.). I haven't had a flat in all that time. I usually run them around 60 - 70 PSI, rather than the recommended 125 PSI, and they roll nicely. Also, they wear like steel but are plently grippy. I recommend them highly.

good luck.

·
Fahrrad fahren
231 Posts
Should be common

MisJG said:
Yeah, I was kinda looking for the specific product so I could callaround to the LBS's. I didn't want to wait for mail order (I wanted to start commuting Monday) and although I haven't had any bad luck with Nashbar or Performance, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to test my luck again.
Any LBS should have a few 27" tires in, but they may be 1 1/8, which should work fine for you. The shop neares me has "replacement" Bontragers for about $9 apiece. Also, walmart/kmart etc often will have a variety if you are willing o look through the selection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts