Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2020 Felt VR with Devox wheels which seem to me to be more gravel wheels. From what I can tell these are massively heavy. Looking for lighter but relatively "bombproof" set of wheels. Back 10 years ago I had a set of Bontrager Race Lites and the spokes kept coming loose and losing true all the time which meant brake rubbing-not acceptable.

I am 5'-10" and 184lbs.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,771 Posts
Ultegra hubs, Magic Open Pro rims, double butted spokes is always one of the better choices for sturdy, not too heavy, cost effective wheelset. Rims also hold up well on gravel. If you ride Campy, substitute Ultegra for Chorus or Centaur.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
5'-10" and 184lbs.
If you are interested in diy route, it's a good way to get yourself relatively light and sturdy wheelset at that price range. I am close to your weight and my diy wheelsets (1 for road bike, 1 for beach cruiser) are holding up fine. I bought rims, spokes, hubs... etc from eBay, Amazon and Bike Hub Store online.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Ultegra hubs, Magic Open Pro rims, double butted spokes is always one of the better choices for sturdy, not too heavy, cost effective wheelset. Rims also hold up well on gravel. If you ride Campy, substitute Ultegra for Chorus or Centaur.
FYI, I don't think you can get Campy hubs anymore except for Record level. Sad. To the OP, more spokes mean the stress is distributed across more spokes Although they are uncool, old school 32 spoke wheels and more durable than most factory wheelsets

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
To the OP, more spokes mean the stress is distributed across more spokes Although they are uncool, old school 32 spoke wheels and more durable than most factory wheelsets
^^^This. If you want a stiffer and more robust wheel, more spokes are your answer. 32 spoke front and rear is a good idea for disc brake wheels.

Also, avoid anything with the name Bontrager or Mavic on it.

·
What the what???
12,660 Posts
105 hubs, 36r/32f stainless spokes, Velocity or H Plus Son rims… about as bombproof as you can get for not a lot of money. Not the lightest, but with wheels it’s usually: strong/light/cheap - pick two.

I would suggest poking around prowheelbuilder.com. On their sight you can spec rims, hubs and spokes and find a combo that works for you.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
I would suggest poking around prowheelbuilder.com. On their sight you can spec rims, hubs and spokes and find a combo that works for you.
Prowheelbuilder.com is a good place to poke around for sure. I've never used them so I can't vouch as to how good their builds are:

Note that not all brands of rims come with a 32 spoke option, so I would cross those off my list. Since this is a road bike, you want to watch rim width and don't want anything wider than 21mm internal. Yes, I know wider is in now, but this can indeed be taken too far. 18-21mm is a good range for road use. The HED Belgium + is an excellent rim, but expensive. Less expensive excellent options are the H+ Son Hydra and the Kinlin XR-31. I would avoid Mavic, Pacenti and Velocity.

Shimano Ultegra GRX RS770's or Bitex hubs are your best bang for the buck.

DT Swiss Competition Spokes. And use brass nipples, not alloy for a strong build.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
In the days when I was "trainning" for the Olympics. It was cheaper to build your own wheels. And the sturdiest, lightweight wheels were, indeed, 32h Mavic Open Pros on Shimano hubs. Alas, times have changed and for $500.00 I bought a carbon clone of a set of Zipp wheels (the ones with golf ball dimples) about 5 years ago and they're still holding up. I was really surprised that all the spokes were tensoned evenly

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
Disc or rim brakes?
His bike has disc brakes.

And the sturdiest, lightweight wheels were, indeed, 32h Mavic Open Pros on Shimano hubs.
Mavic was once a great brand, but no more. Open Pros of the last decade have a reputation for spoke hole cracks.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
His bike has disc brakes.

Mavic was once a great brand, but no more. Open Pros of the last decade have a reputation for spoke hole cracks.
I have had a few a few sets of Open Pro wheels. Two of them developed the dreaded spoke hole cracks after several seasons. I still have one set left that are over 10 years old. I check the rims regularly. I switched to DT Swiss since then

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
I have had a few a few sets of Open Pro wheels. Two of them developed the dreaded spoke hole cracks after several seasons. I still have one set left that are over 10 years old. I check the rims regularly. I switched to DT Swiss since then
You have to wonder about rims that have a maximum spoke tension of 90kgF. A good road rim can take 125-130kgF. There is no f***ing way you can have a max tension of 90kgF on your drive side with an 11-speed freehub and still have sufficient tension on your non-drive side. Mavic-FAIL.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
You have to wonder about rims that have a maximum spoke tension of 90kgF. A good road rim can take 125-130kgF. There is no f***ing way you can have a max tension of 90kgF on your drive side with an 11-speed freehub and still have sufficient tension on your non-drive side. Mavic-FAIL.
Mavic? Really? That's too bad. Back in the day the flavor of the month rim was the Araya CT370 (I think). I quickly built up a wheelset but kept on breaking spokes and I could never get the rim straight, in fact the rim was kinda wavy when tension up.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
Mavic? Really? That's too bad. Back in the day the flavor of the month rim was the Araya CT370 (I think). I quickly built up a wheelset but kept on breaking spokes and I could never get the rim straight, in fact the rim was kinda wavy when tension up.
Breaking spokes is usually the result of insufficuent tension. Insufficient tension causes more spoke flexing which causes earlier fatigue.

Wavy is often a sign of over tensioning the rim's tolerance.

Sounds like a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

There is a very good reason Mavic gets trashed on these forums a lot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 (Campagnolo's aftermarket wheel company) on my Focus and they were indeed Bombproof. They only have 24 spokes F&R but starting out riding these at 190 lbs, I never had to true them.
They can be found online and during sales the price is great. Not set up from the factory as tubeless, however.

Review: Fulcrum Racing 5 Disc Brake wheelset | road.cc

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I've got a 2020 Felt VR with Devox wheels which seem to me to be more gravel wheels. From what I can tell these are massively heavy. Looking for lighter but relatively "bombproof" set of wheels. Back 10 years ago I had a set of Bontrager Race Lites and the spokes kept coming loose and losing true all the time which meant brake rubbing-not acceptable.

I am 5'-10" and 184lbs.
Your bike has Disc wheels from what I can tell, so any hub you choose has to be a disc hub. Shimano Ultegras would work, but may put you out of your price range depending on other component choices. If you want a "bombproof" rim, these would be hard to beat: Kinlin XR31T(S) Disc Rim - Asymmetrical (bikehubstore.com) 24/28 or 28/28 would carry your weight with no issues. I have used the nondisc version and they have been very serviceable.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,337 Posts
Your bike has Disc wheels from what I can tell, so any hub you choose has to be a disc hub. Shimano Ultegras would work, but may put you out of your price range depending on other component choices. If you want a "bombproof" rim, these would be hard to beat: Kinlin XR31T(S) Disc Rim - Asymmetrical (bikehubstore.com) 24/28 or 28/28 would carry your weight with no issues. I have used the nondisc version and they have been very serviceable.
The Kinlin XR-31T is a good rim and not terribly expensive either. I would still go with a 32/32 spoke count laced 3 cross on any disc wheel set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sadly have to agree with the comments regarding Mavic. Way back when they made only rims they were some of the best on the road. The wheel systems of late are some of the worst I've ever ridden. Proprietary spokes, nipples, and the worst rear freehub out there. There's a reason they're no longer doing business in the US. I recently ditched a pair of Ksyrium Elites for a set of carbon Mercury wheels. Not exactly cheap, but they use standard J-bend spokes and standard nipples you can buy anywhere. The hubs are silky smooth and they've stayed true as my all around set.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have 2 sets of bombproof wheels, both with White Ind hubs and CX-ray spokes, one with H Plus Son rims and one with HED Belgium+ rims...You can will both to your heirs, they're that good.
Look at Boyd's also.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have 2 sets of bombproof wheels, both with White Ind hubs and CX-ray spokes, one with H Plus Son rims and one with HED Belgium+ rims...You can will both to your heirs, they're that good.
Look at Boyd's also.
Great Wheels, I've built sets like that for my own use and I current ride WI T11 / AForce AL33s/ CX-Rays. Only problem is that retail for the parts alone will be over $1K for the Hed and only slightly less for the H Plus Sons before any build fees, shipping, etc. unless the OP can build his own. November Bicycles has a similar set for a little under $1,100 but they don't pay "retail" for parts like you and me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts