Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
700c, 28h, wide enough for tubeless tires (although I won't be running them initially,) aluminum, <500g, price a secondary consideration.

Been reading through older threads and see recommendations for the Velocity Quill and Easton RM90 but I'm open to other suggestions.

I built some wheels a few years ago using Pacenti Forza rims but (sadly) I've been a louse since the build and I'm just getting back into serious riding so can't proclaim an opinion yet. Reading older threads though suggests the "new" Pacenti ownership is to be avoided but if the rims are proving decent enough I'd give them a go again since they tick a lot of boxes.

Open to suggestions...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Can't go wrong with the HED Belgium/Belgium + or Boyd Altamonts. H Plus Son's are also nice but can't remember if they're tubeless.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Can't go wrong with the HED Belgium/Belgium + or Boyd Altamonts. H Plus Son's are also nice but can't remember if they're tubeless.
All good choices and all are impossible to find right now. I ordered a pair of Boyd Altamonts in January and they are still on backorder.

The Kinlin XR31T's are also good. They are solid and a great bang for the buck. I just built up a pair of these this past winter. They are available in all spoke count options including asymmetrical rear:

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Bike parts are scarce. My LBS had trouble finding tires at one point during this thing. My wife's Tomassini frame that we ordered over a year ago has been sitting up in PA waiting for a Dura Ace 12-speed electronic group to come out. Its going to be no time too soon.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The HED Belgium rims and Boyd's are nowhere to be found these days, unless you know something I don't.

Which model H Plus Son rims do you recommend?
My apologies, forgot that there are still shortages, I haven't shopped for wheelsets/parts in some time.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Harris Cyclery, where Sheldon Brown wrenched, is closing because they can't get enough bikes and parts to sell to pay the rent. Crazy times indeed.
Sad to hear this. Although IIRC, bike shops make most of their profit on repairs, correct? But I guess if you can't get parts, well, that certainly limits the repairs you can do.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought some Velocity Quill's. Found a good deal. I like the idea of supporting a US manufacturer so what the heck?

I've got a nice set of 7700 Dura-Ace hubs to anchor everything. Gotta buy some spokes next. Thinking about Sapim Laser for the front and NDSR, and Race's for DSR. Yes/no? Looking for durability without needless weight. Similar wheels with Open Pro's have served me well in the past.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Bought some Velocity Quill's. Found a good deal. I like the idea of supporting a US manufacturer so what the heck?

I've got a nice set of 7700 Dura-Ace hubs to anchor everything. Gotta buy some spokes next. Thinking about Sapim Laser for the front and NDSR, and Race's for DSR. Yes/no? Looking for durability without needless weight. Similar wheels with Open Pro's have served me well in the past.
Not much difference between the weight of Race and Laser. I would choose Race for everything as it's an easier build with less spoke twist during tensioning.

Also check out options from DT. Their Competitions are equivalent to Races and their Revolutions are equivalent to Lasers.

And if you're looking for durability, go with brass nipples. The difference in weight between brass and alloy is trivial.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts