Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months of considering and reconsidering, it's time to move on my from my current road bike - a 2006 BMC SLT01. It's been a great ride, but I've gotten the itch for something new. As I prep it for eBay, I need to begin thinking about its replacement.

It's been a while since I've ridden steel for any amount of time and want to give it a try.

I know , it's all about fit and feel, but I also know that it's not always easy to find and ride a bunch of steel at the local shops. So, I'm looking for recommendations on steel frames at or around the $1000 mark. I've already got a nice set of components, so the frame is all I need.

- What's working for you?
- What do you hear good things about?
- Any sales or closeouts I should know about?

Thanks a bunch!

Peter J.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Lots of steel out there in that price range...and Curtlo is great for the price and if you need custom geometry, though his communication can be lacking at times.

You can do a search for custom steel and find many companies that have bikes in your range, both mass produced and custom...just takes a little looking around.

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Lots of options in that price range.

If I were in your situation, I'd be considering the following:

1. Kona (Kapu) http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kapu
2. Gunnar (I'd probably look at the Fast Lane, but the Roadie is cool if thats what you're looking for)

Of course, if I were looking in your price range, I'd probably be looking at Habanero Ti frames.

· old school drop out
1,578 Posts
If you're not in a hurry and don't need/want a custom frame, watch the used market on eBay and Craigslist. There are lots of really good deals. The frame that I ride the most was bought (barely) used on eBay for about $350, and retailed at about $1000 when new.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions all around - keep 'em coming.

I considered starting out with some of the frames I'd already been considering as well as my own quirks (style taste between boring single color and Euro flash), but didn't want to bias anyone. That said, you've already matched some of my prospects...

- Gunnar (have heard great things and they're down the road from my where I grew up)
- Kona Kapu (really like the looks and have read some good recommendations)

I hadn't actually thought about custom since it's often priced beyond what I'm thinking, but Curtlo and Sanner look like good options I'll need to look into. As for timing, I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm dying to get my new components onto a new frame, so I probably won' thave too much patience.

Thanks again!

Peter

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I love my Kapu. Got it used for $450 and couldn't be happier. It's the older orange but I really like the color. Rides great and can take rack mounts/panniers if you want to use it as a light duty touring bike. It's treated me well.

· Registered
2,420 Posts
I know you have the components, but just to add in...

I have picked up two steel bikes off of eBay in the past few years. One of them is a Casati and it rides extremely well, maybe my favorite bike to ride. It was used for a few years, has a pretty darn nice build up and components on it, uses Columbus Genius tubing, and I grabbed the full bike for $1000. I take this bike out on slower cruising rides and I just put in 5 hours on it this weekend, riding with friends who were on full carbon and titanium. The bike performed well.

I'd almost say to keep your gruppo for another bike and try to eBay a nice, used steel complete bike for $1000. Not that hard to do. Plenty of people have full steel and either have too many or want to move on to carbon, which is what the dude I grabbed mine from was after.

Good luck & have fun with the search!

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Join the Serotta forum and get active and post your need. Serotta made some of the best steel framed bikes in the world and their owners usually take great care of them. A used Colorado, Colorado II or III, CSI, etc. would be a great riding bike. Also consider a used titanium Serotta. The tubes are butted and firm but give a great ride. Another excellent alternative and a lifetime bicycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.