Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good options for a reasonably priced 1" threadless headset? I'm not willing to spend $125 for a Chris King at this point, so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck in the $50 or so range.

All of my other bikes have threaded headsets, so I'm rather clueless about threadless. I'll be using the headset with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro comp fork with a 1" aluminum steerer tube. I would prefer a headset with a taller vs shorter stack height as I run my handlebars fairly high. My handlebars are 26.0 diameter. Thx.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
+1 for the Cane Creek S2...

I just scored an IRD "Techno Glide" in 1" threadless...haven't installed it yet, but it looks to be some top-notch stuff, too. And it comes in colors (my real reason for springing for it...I'm a slave to bike fashion!). It's rather less expensive than a similarly-colored Chris King.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Since 1" headsets are getting harder to find, it helps to have some recommendations to suggest to my mechanic.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Orbit X or the S2 are both great, reasonably priced headsets...I think the Orbit X is a little nicer, but both are commonly available online for $30 or less if you shop around.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Ya know... You may as well get the biggest, gnarliest thing you can now and save the hassles later. I've had the CC headsets in various bikes. They do OK, but the Kings last darn near forever. I've moved a few of em around between bikes for years.

As an alternative, find yourself an older American Classic Tri-lock and talk to American Classic about their t-less adaptor. The ex- has mine on her bike now. Prolly never need replacing either.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts