Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF has had some back issues over the past year...she had a ruptured disk that required surgery to remove fluid impinging on her sciatic nerve. In any event she is just getting to the point where she wants to ride again. She rode her aluminum trek road bike a few miles recently and said that it was uncomfortable due to the ride being too stiff. What are her options?

One thing I was thinking was switching out her tires to something larger, like a 28 or 25...are some of these more comfortable than others? Another option I suppose would be to go with a suspension seat post...is there one designed for road bikes? We'll probably also go with a new stem to raise the bars. Would prefer not to dump the frame if possible, but I suppose a carbon frame would help a lot...Any other ideas?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you were willing to pay, the Giant ORC composite would probably do the trick. Carbon + More relaxed ride.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
Trek 1500?

Greetings,
If your GF has one of those old school Trek aluminum frames, then she has one of the most comfortable bike around. Anyway, I had a herniated disc two years ago that required surgery. The thing that helped me get back on the bike was to lower my saddle a bit and bring up the stem too.

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is a Trek 2200 from a few years ago (maybe an 03?)...though it has a carbon fiber fork, the frame is all aluminum...

How has your back been since the surgery? Did you just have the microdiskectomy?

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
diskectomy

My back has been fine since surgery. I feel so completely healed that I've neglected to continue with my daily back stretching exercises and I've started with my old bad habits when it comes to correct posture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts