Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that are reasonably light, fairly priced and work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Specialized ones

These are from Specialized. They are not so much of the carbon bling, but they hold my bottles tight, pretty darn light for the price. Look great on my Specialized bike, but perhaps the name Specialized on the side of them might cause problems on other bikes. They do have a carbon version that is about 13 grams lighter, but man for 4 times the price I can loose the 13 grams from around my waist.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33724

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have a set of the Specialized one's and they work fine for a faux carbon cages. Mine are 2-3 years old and working fine.

I've had the Tacx Tao's, the Elites etc. My current favorites are the King (stainless because I'm cheap). Very simple, clasic look and very durable.

The ultralight carbon cages seem extremely expensive for what they are.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Zipp Carbon Cages

I have used a set of these for a year now and they hold a bottle well, seem fairly durable and weight next to nothing. Both cages and bolts weigh 54 grams. They are not the cheapest, but I got mine Ebay for about 90 bucks, which is about 30 to 40 off retail.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
manhattanproj said:
if you dont want to spend so much for carbon

check out cateye bc 100
+1, Iight, cheap, and durable

I generally like Specialized gear and the cages look nice but I've been on several rides where a friend had the bottom of their cage break.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I was worried about the specialized bottom tab breaking. Actually had it happen to a friend's, but those were last year's models. The new ones seem a little more sound on the bottom tab. I have about 35 hours of riding on them so time will tell. I had considered carbon cages, but I have seen those break just as easy. These were not some cheap Forte ones. So since these were $16 a piece vs. $40+ a piece for carbon I thought I would give them a try. So far they have been fantastic.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Lightest that will actually hold a large bottle in any conditions is the BTP 13g MTB cage.
The other 2 @ ~20g I've found that hold well and are reasonably cheap are the Topeak carbon shuttle cage (found them for $75/pair shipped) and the Edge Elite sold on ebay (usually around $40/pr) which were a very pleasant surprise and have an interesting silver inside, natural outside. Arundels are nice and hold well but are on the heavy side for carbon cages.

Can't beat the cateye for price and it holds well and you won't break the end tab off - which so far has eventually happened with every carbon cage I've used for any length of time, including the uber expensive Record cages.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a pair of Pedro's recycled milk bottles cages (thin plastic - either 1 or 2 in the U.S.). One bottle cage weighed 25 grams, and the other one weighed 27 grams (I purchased 6 from Nashbar). Of course, they weren't durable, but I used only one on my seat tube for three years. For some reason, I destroy cages and water bottles on my down tube, probably because I use them a lot more than the cage/bottle combo on my seat tube.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
damn.. this is why I try to stay away from this forum.
I was spending way to much time & money thinking about how much lighter my bike could be.
the madness is creeping back into my brain looking at these cages.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.