Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Wanna save some weight in your cage/bottle combo? Zefal makes an extra large bottle, called the magnum, that holds 28 ounces. I use one of these instead of 2 standard bottles, which hold 16? ounces. This saves the weight of an extra bottle cage, and of course one of these bottles is much lighter than 2 regular bottles. And I only give up 4 ounces of capacity.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have broken 3 of the specialized cages and one of the plastic elite cages. Currently using the perfomance bike brand forte cage at 25 g bought it on sale for 20 bucks. Looks cool and will not drop a bottle. Only problem might be it shaves off some plastic sometimes off the bottle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ChuckUni said:
I'm betting the King Ti cage would hold it, and they claim it's 30gm.....
You would win that bet.

I run King Ti cages on my rigid SS MTB (and I am known to do a bit of urban hucking)...No cage should be expected to hold a full bottle under the conditions I ride, but these do (after you bend them in a bit). People I ride with joke that I have my cages set on "stun" (Star Trek joke).

Seriously, you can bend these cages with a careful effort to make them hold as tight as you want.

Going on 5 years, and never an issue.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
King Ti W/B Cages are the absolute best at holding your bottle, easy removal, light weight and maintenance free.
Been using mine for 2 years and never a problem.
Looks great and works great.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
moabbiker said:
Anyone tried the Prorace Lightweight cage offered at PBK for $4? Only 20 grams, or so it says. Too good to be true? Even if it breaks in a year I wont shed tears at this price.
I tried two of 'em, but gave up 'cause they don't bottles too well.

I'm now using Trek Bat Cage. Not the lightest (~40g), but it's cheap & I've never lost a bottle or broken a cage. If it was good enough for Lance, it's good enough for me. (Duh- did I just write that??)
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/armstrong.html

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.