Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for first-hand experience on recommendations for a bike in this price range. Having sold my Schwinn Paramount and all of my frames and most of my parts, I am giving some thought to what I will buy if and when the bike urge hits. I have time to do some browsing and shopping so that I will not have to start from scratch if I decide to try a bike again.

I am going to stay in the $1500-$2000 range and want a new stock production bike, probably not steel this time around, with 10 speed Shimano. I had a Giant TCR carbon fiber bike a couple of years ago and liked it the short time I rode it, but at the time still had too much investment in older parts and tools, affinity for traditional lugged steel, and wasn't ready to get out of the bike buying and selling side of the hobby. I also didn't have the length cranks on the Giant that I need, but will make sure that is correct with this purchase.

I will be considering Giant again, but thought you all might have some experiences with other stock production bikes in that price range that would be helpful. No racing, just 20-60 mile recreational rides.

· Registered
381 Posts
I bought an '06 Trek 2100 last fall on clearance that I really like. Of course the 2100 is no longer being made, but the Trek 2.3 is the new model for '08 that is closest in design and specs. It is in the price range you are looking at and has an aluminum frame with CF fork and seat stays. I use it primarily for 20 to 60 mile recreational/club rides as well as my 10 mile round trip commute to work.

Good luck on your hunt for a new ride!

Jay B.

· Registered
24 Posts
i had been casually looking new road bikes in the same range and this is what i found:

orbea onix tdi (105) or one with campy veloce
felt z35 (all carbon, 105/ultegra mix)
neuvation aluminum with dura ace (looks like cervelo soloist)
neuvation carbon with ultegra
canondale synapse 5
specialized tarmac comp
velovie vitesse 100 with 105 group (although i think they just raised their price to $2100ish)
i think one of the lower-spec'ed madones is about $2000
cervelo soloiet team (all ultegra, aluminum frame) for $2000
giant tcr c2 or c3 as well as ocr 2 or 3

most of these except as noted are carbon frames with lower end groups (ie 105) and lower end wheels, reviews on all of the frames have been very positive, though.

then there are LOADS of aluminum or aluminum/carbon bikes with 105 or ultegra for under $2000

i had no plans of buying anything for probably several months, but when the competitive cyclist deal on the size medium ridley excalibur came back, i couldn't pass it up for a second time. ordered one on saturday. unfortunately not supposed to ship until 7/1. the anticipation (coming from my 4 year old, sora-equiped, cheapest aluminum frame i could find current bike) is already killing me. i guess it will make it that much sweeter when it finally arrives. the good thing is that after this week (when i am off for 6 days, but couldn't have had the bike even if they shipped it today), i only have about 4 days off work, only 2 of which would work for riding until july 7, which is when i should have the bike. after that i should have lots more days when i can ride :D

good luck with your search. i hope when the bug does bite, it doesn't bite harder than your budget has room for

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Ridley Excalibur:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=4957

I actually ordered the Excalibur back in May, but then bumped my order up to a Damocles (for more money of course).
+1 on this deal. I love my Excalibur - I have a Campy setup, but for the money I would have saved w/ this deal, I'd be just fine w/ SRAM.

Nice thing about Ridley's - you very, very, rarely see another on a group ride. I've seen one.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
That Comp Cyclist Ridley* deal looks great. The Ridley has what looks to be nice, European geometry; not a 75-degree angle in the bunch. So it's probably a pretty stable ride. Very long head tube, too, so you could set those bars pretty high for a comfy, all-day ride. Tough to buy a $2,000 bike without riding it first, though. Maybe you could put down a deposit, then ask for one of their Ridley demo bikes to be sent to you. Demo is $300, but if you buy the bike, you get full credit for the $300.

Does anyone know where those Excalibur frames are made?

(*Full disclosure: Comp Cyclist sponsors my charity ride. So I do know that Brendan Quirk and his team are very easy going and good to work with.)

· Registered
1,418 Posts
tag on my bike says "made in Belguim", but I undertand the layout happens in China/Taiwan and the paint/clearcoat in Belguim. but who cares. Nice quality carbon work. They're beautiful bikes.

Geometry is just about right. I have mine setup w/ 20mm in spacers, and a 110/87 degree stem (flipped down), and it's just right for me - (5'11", 32.5" inseam). You do have to be careful on the sizing - mine's a Med, and it's fits well, but I could have gone w/ a small and a 120mm stem and longer seat post too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.