Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Expert with DT Axis 3.0 wheels, and I'd like to upgrade. Current wheels seem kind of dead and sluggish.

I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs. and ride mostly for recreation and fitness.

Would appreciate some guidance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new and not an expert however I just upgraded my wheels to a pair of HED C2 and love them. I'm 6'0 and 219 and they feel great. Not sure what your level you're riding at or if you're racing but I like the feel of the HED's.

Good luck!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I have a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Expert with DT Axis 3.0 wheels, and I'd like to upgrade. Current wheels seem kind of dead and sluggish.
I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs. and ride mostly for recreation and fitness.
Would appreciate some guidance.
Be sure you're not buying wheels just for the sake of it (and that's ok too if you want to). Depending on the weight of your current wheels you might get something that "feels" faster if you can drop 500 grams without the new wheels being too light for your 210lbs. You can't use the lightest wheels, that's for sure. You need to know what your bare wheels weigh before you begin.

"Dead and sluggish" might not be an effect from the wheels. Tires will make the biggest difference. Get some top road racing rubber and the right pressures.

I should add - "Dead and sluggish" relative to what? I have multiple wheelsets and can get a relative feel. There is a somewhat different feel but nothing that's measurable. I too feel "dead and sluggish" many times but it's not the fault of the wheelset.

The chances of some wheels actually being faster are slim especially to make a difference for your "recreation and fitness" rides. They might be a handful of seconds faster over a 25 mile (40km) timetrial race but on a regular ride you won't notice it.

And the laws of physics do come into play - heavier wheels keep their speed better (inertia) but are slower to get up to speed - but how often does that happen, with any meaningful consequences, on a "recreation and fitness" ride?

I've proved that my heavier wheels are no slower than my lighter ones.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
To mirror what the other have said...road type, type of riding and body weight are a big deal when choosing wheels. Also, don't overlook tires (as Mike said). You may want to start with a tire upgrade first...you're not going to waste the $$ if you get a good set and still don't like the ride, good tires are good tires and you'll use them.

If that doesn't solve the issue, look at wheels.

Personally, I've been "studying" wheels for the past 6 months and recently decided on ROL and their Race SL wheel. The make a higher spoke count model (Race SLR) for heavier/bigger riders (you've got +40 lbs on me)...you may want to look at them as well. I upgraded my Tarmac from the rather lackluster Fulcrum "Racing 6" wheels/tires that came stock and it made a very noticeable difference in terms of handling, and ride comfort. I considered the Tarmac a bit "twitchy" before upgrading and that set not only made the handling more sound, it feels much more in control. While I was at it, I upgraded my Tiagra chain to an Ultegra and my rear cassette from a 105 to an Ultegra as well. The combo of wheel/tire/chain/cassette not only shaved a full lb from the bike, it's made a world of difference in not only pedaling/shifting smoothness but as expected, the bike is lighter and feels like it.

The Race SL is a 23mm wheel so with a 23mm tire, it stretches it out a bit and made for a great ride, I am VERY pleased.

If you're dead set on a new set of wheels/tires...they offer a great deal of a set of Conti GP4000s tires and tubes for an additional $105. Can't beat that price and those are superb tires.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
6'3" 210ish
find a good local wheel guy
go see them. Have them build you wheels. 32 hole 3x (maybe 2x) on the front with decent hubs, appropriate spokes and decent rims

most pre built, low spoke wheels aren't built with we Clydes in mind. Also if you break a spoke (common for bigger folks) a 32 spoke wheel means the difference between loosening the brake and riding home vs walking

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
6'3" 210ish
find a good local wheel guy
go see them. Have them build you wheels. 32 hole 3x (maybe 2x) on the front with decent hubs, appropriate spokes and decent rims

most pre built, low spoke wheels aren't built with we Clydes in mind. Also if you break a spoke (common for bigger folks) a 32 spoke wheel means the difference between loosening the brake and riding home vs walking
after many years of abuse I just had a rim replaced. We used an open pro laced to the hub (Ultegra) and I did 25 miles of gravel grinding on it and it was delightful

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
$105 for two GP4000s and tires is not a great deal. The first place I searched is selling that tire for $39.00. Seems like you paid $25 for two tubes the way I see it. Continental Grand Prix 4000S Clincher Road Tyre - 23mm Sports & Leisure | ProBikeKit.com.
Congrats on doing a search and clicking the lowest value regardless of seller quality....most places sell the GP4000s for $50+...Probikekit.com is questionable at best and has a sub par spotty record. Saving $20 isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Congrats on doing a search and clicking the lowest value regardless of seller quality....most places sell the GP4000s for $50+...Probikekit.com is questionable at best and has a sub par spotty record. Saving $20 isn't worth the hassle.
Can't speak to probikekit.com but tiremaniacs has Conti GP4000s for between $40 and $45 depending on the size you want and I'd recommend him highly. No way I'm paying $70 for that tire at some place like Performance unless it's an emergency and I don't have any spares.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
It wasn't a search. I just know where to find good values on products. Total Cycling is a another place to look for good values. Worst case, Ebay sells them for $70 a pair too.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Probably placed 15 orders w PBK with no problems....as long as you know it will take 8 work days for delivery, no problem. Never had a hassle.

Ymmv

len

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
+1 on no issues with PBK. I'll throw Ribble into the ring too. Both ship quickly but orders sometimes get hung up at the port of entry in the US for indeterminate times. Usually it's less then 10 business days but I had it take 3 weeks on a few occasion. If I'm in a hurry to get something, I don't order from the UK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.